stolen beats

Phology

to all producers..

has this ever happend to u?

had ur beats "stolen" or someone has claimed one of ur beats as there's?

its happend to me once before, and i fear it may have happend again.

i was dj'in @ Sumo in Leics, and a few peeple came up to me

saying they were label owners/or did they're own nights in the area

askin if i dj'd anywhere cuz they liked wat i was doin

i sed 'no but heres a cd'

so i gave them each a copy of my demo im puttin out, and took my number

now they didnt seem too dodgy (one of them is apparently a prod for Formation (d'n'b label)

but ever since i told my bro i gave them a cd he was sayin they cud jus release my beats as theres

i mean, i havnt copyrighted anything so its easy for them to do it...

if it came to it, i have the original song files with all samples

all they have is the mp3 copy of the song...

:s :)

Get off your lazy ass and send out some copywright forms. It takes 2 secs. No sense in stating a problem and a solution. Just fix it.

What you need is a SR form. Its like $30 a form. You can either copywright 1 track per form or a full body of work per form. So ideally you can copywright an entire CD for $30.

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsri.pdf

If you burn them to a cd-r and send them to your self (not regular mail, the type where you have to sign a receipt) and DON'T open the envelope, there's a proof that you owned these beats at the date they were posted.

Lots of people do this, it only protects you up to a certain level (you might have sold another cd-r and the rights to the music), but this way you have the intellectual copyright to those beats.

If you burn them to a cd-r and send them to your self (not regular mail, the type where you have to sign a receipt) and DON'T open the envelope, there's a proof that you owned these beats at the date they were posted.

Lots of people do this, it only protects you up to a certain level (you might have sold another cd-r and the rights to the music), but this way you have the intellectual copyright to those beats.

This poor man copywright is BS. Its takes 30$ to do it right. Why not do it right?

As far as the poor man copywright goes...All you have to have is a tangible medium. You could burn a file with data and audio files on it. it will be dated. No sense in mailing it to yourself.

GET A SR FORM! If your serious about your music, be serious about your copywrights.

bust your own rhymes over all your beats, say mother fucker a lot

i haven't had mine stolen, but I found one of my beats with cutting on it on Infinite from this site's soundclick, but he gave me credit, and his cutting wasn't wack, so it was cool, it was just weird to find one of my beats being cut over when you're looking through other peep's sites

i dunno, i think gabe's on with the copyright thing, sounds like the safest way to go