Tutorials

Sideshow

I dunno. There are only so many scratches to learn then it all comes down to combos. Personally I don't see the point unless you were gonna go all out and have videos and diagrams and shit and I can't see anyone being that bothered. Dub7 already has the vids if anyone wants em mind you.

Further to that, if people don't understand a scratch they can always ask for tips. I asked Ryan about delayed flares and within about 15 minutes he had a file sorted for me. Everyone here (and soon to be here) is pretty damn helpful.

Have you guys thought of putting a scratch tutorial or anything on your site? I know lots of other sites do it but I'm just curious, I'm working on a little program to help newbies (like me) and it may be of use in time

BTW - What is your program?

what you need is one-to-one training with a more experienced scratcher.

nothing beats that.

scratcher for hire anyone?

That helps but I think what you really need is understanding of techniques and some vision to try your own stuff. That way you won't sound like the next man busting a ton of 2-clicks and crabs.

BTW - What is your program?

it is to do with combo's actually

have you seen that asisphonics combo generator?

in theory sounds ok but you just get a list of baby, flare, chirp - didn't do much for me

so i sampled myself doing the scratches i could do, then the program loads up these scratches (all at the same bpm) and generates a combo that it can playback as a wave file with a beat on top

you tell it if you prefer chirps and flares to transforms and it weights the result to suit

it is still only half working but the resulting bars sounded great - miles better than i thought they would (the fucker can scratch better than me!!!)

it could even be used for you more experienced guys as a kind of automated q & a thing

(i know you don't have any real friends!)

let it make up a pattern for several bars and then you do your thing, and so on

Im sorry but as you can imagine just letting anyone upload as soon as they register would cause havoc.

not a problem mate, it's understandable

i'll mail you something later sigma, cheers

Yea sigma has access to the DV2 FTP So if you want something uploaded you can always send it to him! :(

Guest Deeswift

My thoughts on a scratch tutorial: No way. There's so many tutorials around these days, whether it be websites, videos, Qbert's DIY DVD's, etc, n00bs to scratching have excellent resources already and they really have everything handed to them on a plate nowadays. It wasn't like that in the old days, you really had to learn by yourself, even back when I was learning in 97 / 98-ish. I reckon that it's the best way to learn, cause there's so many DJ's now that know technical scratches inside out but still can't string together a good file (that's not meant in a disrespectful way to anyone, btw, I just see it a lot these days). So that's my thoughts on a scratch tutorial.

Another thing, SOS would probably think we're taking "their" ideas. Which is not their idea at all, obviously, as there's already so many tutorials online. Besides, scratching is just a small part of DV, it always was on the first board anyway.

Saying this, but I'd still welcome a tutorial from anyone who wanted to post one, it'd be a fairly nice addition to the site, but it'd have to be a good one.

i agree with what you're saying, i was thinking it may bring more vistors to your site that was all

i was actually going to ask over at sos if they'd be interested in putting my prog on their tutorial section if you guys weren't bothered

i'll still sort a file out to see what you think though

don't get too excited, maybe i built it up a bit too much!

it may only be useful to newbies like me who struggle getting any kind of combo going, instead of chirpy chirpy chirpy chirpy chirpy ... etc!

But if the program can generate random patterns for a qna and leave space for the "human" to scratch then that would be Dopppe.

no doubt!.. when i first got that asis combo gen.. i was like... ;) ... because all they do is tell you in writing is the combos.. flare+chirp+ ect... but what i wanted was to actualyl hear it.. so if you do get this prog to work GREAT... and for me i have learned/still learning how to beatmatch/scratch.. basically anything to do with TTs by myself (not including the internet)