Constant crashes

Ben

Been a bit ill at the moment and i've been playing games to take my mind off it.

Problem is that every game i install or load up has a tendancy to crash every 5 minutes for about 1 minute.

Is it possibly a hardware problem? Was thinking of formatting my hard drive yet again.

No errors. It seems to happen with every game too for no particular reason. It can even happen when nothing intense is going on.

Sounds that are playing at the time of the crash repeat over and over until everything goes back to normal. I've got no viruses or spyware, no background programs running. Its only just started to happen recently for no obvious reason.

All the games seem to be running perfectly smoothly too.

I had a similar problem.

While playing any game, and while using cpu intensive programs I would get BSOD every 5-10 mins. It got worse over time.

New MOBO fixed it. Kept RAM, CPU, PSU, GFX etc.

Updated graphics drivers and nothing helped.

Tried it out after installing and restarting and i got a very bad crash. Windows restarted itself during the crash and came up with "windows has recovered from a serious error" on startup.

Another point to mention. When a game has crashed i can still move the in-game cursor around and sometimes look around, however its as if the game has crashed and not the interface. This happens with all of them.

Once the game resumes again, every bit of mouse/keyboard input is acted out in super-fast motion up until the point of resuming (if you know what i mean). Its like when it snaps out of it everything goes hyperactive for a few seconds to catch up.

This year i've already upgraded my RAM to 1024, CPU to AMD 3000 (I think) and motherboard to AMD 64.

EDIT: Getting no BSOD though. Everything just freezes.

Ok, well the problem seemed to vanish for a while.

Then, just now my pc restarted itself in-game and a logo appeared saying "american mega-trends" along with the text "overclocking failed!"

There were 2 options. F1 to setup or F2 to use defaults and continue. I chose F2.

Does this help indicate what the problem is? I don't know much about overclocking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WAAAAAAAHRAPAPRPROAOARORAR

:(

Just completely reinstalled windows and formatted my pc and everything is so much worse. Crashes are constant and textures slur all over the screen. Every game is now completely unplayable.

Do you have more than one stick of RAM in the machine? If you do, try taking one out and see how it runs then. If it's still the same or worse, swap it for the other stick. If it doesn't improve by removing a stick of RAM then you know bad memory isn't the problem (unless both sticks are bad, but that's unlikely). It could be numerous things though. Dodgy graphics card or power supply maybe.

Alrighty, i'll start with the RAM sticks.

I have 2 and one of them i bought off a friend last year.

Bit scared though :s Last time i fiddled with my RAM, the MOBO esploded. Hehe.

There must also be some kind of graphics card/processor stress testing programs out there. I'm just really eager to sort this out.

Once again, cheers man.

I think i may have isolated the problem.

I was looking inside my pc with the side removed while it was running just to have a peek at where the RAM is and whether i'd have to remove much to get to it.

I looked underneath the graphics card for some reason and noticed the fan is completely inert. I loaded up a game and watched the fan and it still did nothing.

Even with my low computer experience, this cries out to be the problem. Guessing it isn't normal for the fan to stop.