Qbert Ortofon Needles?

jsong56

each to their own i guess, its just personal preferences, some people like technics, others like vestax.

personally, i think the qbert needles are dope for just scratching. they dont kill your records if set up right (any needle will kill your records if not set up right). they look alot better to!

me, im using one on the qfo and i can play my qfo ALMOST UPSIDE DOWN and the thing still tracks well!!!

tell me, what frickn needle can do that?

• 2 months later...

jsong, u had these a while longer

u still think they dont burn too much????

i mean have you noticed burn on a normal record (not non skip) coz obviously it takes longer for you to notice burn on these.

ive got concordes and admit they burn records to hell, so are these the same or not now youve had more time to use em?

too be honest i dropped my fucking qfo from about waste height and broke the fuckn needle eh.

but shit...i had em for about 2-3 mths and they was fine.

all i do is skratch and im using the same superseal like 70% of the time

and my superseal is fine.

id get em again! not sure bout the price though :(

• 2 months later...

so are these good or not? all the djs around here seem to be buying them thinking it will make them scratch better..

and wtf is with the weight ar around 4 grams?

i put my stanton 520sk's on 2.5g and they track heaps well! theyre just a tad quiet now and theyre pretty old. time to replace.. i dont know whether to get new stylii or brand new carts all together.

if you dont recommend these qberts, whats a good needle/cart?

im in the same situation as cbay, i've been rocking the black ortofon concords since I've started DJ'ing, but ever since i've started juggling, i've noticed how bad these motherfuckers wear out my records. I can only afford to do juggle with shitty records, because I know that if I practice too much, it'll kill my vinyl by the time im ready to play it out.

WTF are you guys doing with your Orts to get 'em burning that badly??? I've been using Orto DJ-S for over five years. The only thing that reall makes me consider replacing them is the ridiculous cost of replacement styli (£20-25, ouch). Yeah, by all accounts Shures perform better but they're also very fragile, and I'm one clumsy motherfucker.

Try 'em at 3g, up to 3.5 only if absolutely necissary. The trouble is that the suspension on the Orts is quite sensitive to being run overweight, in effect you might say they get 'addicted' to it. Don't set the height too high either, this causes the needle to sit unevenly in the groove producing an elliptical point of contact (increasing pressure).

Come to think of it, you've not got the elliptical styli have you Xander? They'll kill records when scratching although supposedly sound tighter in the top end.

Here's what i've got

One of them has-

The all black one sounds worse, I don't know that either one wears out records worse than the other, but they're both pretty bad in terms of record wear. I've heard (though I suspect its a rumor) that this is really the only ortofon that's safe to use:

Is yours actually the elliptical then?

NOT good for scratching. Record wear through the roof.

If your other one is a spherical and it wears just as bad, that would suggest to me that your height is probabbly set too high. 3-4 on Techs is normally good, but that varies from Tech to Tech and also on your mats (good luck trying to set the height properly on a PDX...).

I've never used the Qbert Orts and at the money, I doubt I ever will. Traditionally, Ortofons vary incredibly little across the entire range, the body colour is different but the carts are identical and the needles have subtle variations. I doubt the Qbert Ort is any different but I've not really been paying attention to all that, for all I know they could be completely redesigned. I'm not hearing good things, though.

no, my black one has a "Pro S" on it and the blue one just says "S" so I believe they're both spherical. I actually keep my tone arm height at 0 to avoid additional wear. I usually eyeball the weight/set it to feel, because that shit moves around in transport etc, and I can't be rebalancing @ every gig, etc (i think that's pretty obvious). Ani-skate is annoying though and I more/less avoid touching it unless there is a serious skating problem. Should I look into this more? Is it possible that one side of the groove is experiencing excess pressure and that is wearing the fuck out of my records?

Technically for playback, the antiskate should be set to the same level as the stylus pressure BUT this only works forward: in reverse, the opposite is true, so for scratching keep it at zero. Can be a boon for some minor scratches on records that skip it back, I know what you mean.

Look at setting your tonearms a little higher. Setting them too low will have the same effect as setting them too high.

Thinking about it, if I recall correctly, all this stuff is in the Book of Shure. Worth a peek.

http://www.needlz.com/library/bookofshure.asp