Reading Non Skipless records?

jsong56

hi i was wandering if there is like a visual formula to normal non skipless records?

hard to explain...

for eg if u break down a record to 0deg 90deg 180deg 270deg 360deg which equals 12oclock 3oclock 6oclock 9oclock 12oclock...

would a full bar be say one full revolution plus another 90degrees? (which would equal 3oclock)

then say the next bar....

another full revolution plus another 90degrees which would finish up on 6oclock.

when i look at a record spin one bar seem to be usually a full revolution and a bit.

i was wandering if there is like a visual formula u can use so you know visually exactly when the next bar would end on the record??

i guess this helps out with trick mixing and beatjuggling many different bars on a record.

am i making any sense??? as i said its really hard to explain so if u understand what i mean then your a champ :)

reason im asking this is cause im dumb founded how people juggle bar after bar on the same record and know exactly where everything hits.

i mean do these people have a memory like a frickn pc or is there a easy way they use to know where everything hits?

it's a little over a revolution depending on what your juggling. here's the basic idea.

mark the place the first hit of the first bar is(when the music starts)

watch the record spin, and you'll see how much rotation it takes for one bar.

When your juggling bar after bar of a whole song, what you basically do is watch that 12 o'clock sticker, and watch for when it hits the beat you wanna double. say it hits it at 2 o'clock. Now you can let it play for say 2 bars, and with practise you'll know in your head "i have to spin it back twice, and then land on 2'oclock.

Try juggling 2 unmarked records in this way. just use the label as a guide.

provided you try to think 2 moves ahead, you'll be fine. U have to realise you'll have to spin back to that snare that's about to drop on your right hand side in a second, so have a quick glance at the right hand record, watch the snare drop, and now you know what position it's in.

make sense?

when i look at a record spin one bar seem to be usually a full revolution and a bit.

i was wandering if there is like a visual formula u can use so you know visually exactly when the next bar would end on the record?

It depends on the record though right?

yep, totally depends on the record. most hip hop is a little over a revolution per bar. drum and bass is closer to 2 bars per revolution. most people juggle hip hop though, hence the example.

that outta space track i-emerge juggled for the dmc's is about 133 BPM though, which equates to exactly one revolution per bar. i think.