help with codecs.

Mowgli

just transferred some films from my laptop to my new destop that are .avi 's. They work fine on my laptop that i downloaded them on (using bittorrent) but it comes up with 'error downloading codec' when i open them on my desktop.

any ideas on how i can overcome this?

much appreciated.

mowgli.

It's a coder/decoder. basically a piece of software to interpret the video data. avi's are encoded with lots of different formats DivX, Xvid etc.

Grab a program called Gspot to find out what codec you need or grab the latest VLC player which plays everything I have ever thrown at it.

No it would need to be converted to the MPEG standard that DVD players conform to (unless you have a DVD player that plays the type of file you have like DIVX or whatever)

You can take the long way around and convert the MPEG stream yourself using TMPGENC, and then author and burn your DVD. or you could get an all in one program like DVDSanta that will do everything for you, but you will have fewer options when it comes to things like menus etc.