anyone use PDX-2000's?

pedostyle

i have my tonearm set at a little above level height, 3.5 grams. shure m447's. when i barely touch the record to stop it (when the platter moves) the stylus jumps a couple or mroe grooves. is this normal? i have the cart set correctly to my knowledge (flush with the end of headshell)...

i know its not the table. its not perfectly stable but its very good (FE not a card table)

it only sticks decently when i set it to 5-7 grams and i fear it will screw my records.

thanks.

EDIT sorry prolly shoulda gone in "dj help"

I have the tonearm as low as it will go so it's almost level. I don't use the extra headshell weight and the cart is mounted flush to the end of the headshell. I use 2½ to 3½ grammes of weight.

Is the cart firmly screwed to the headshell? Is your stylus broken in? Is it worn out? Are the decks on a sturdy, level surface? Is it the record (hole too big, warped, shit pressing)? Are you a heavy handed motherfucker?

stylus is broken in. its on a sturdy surface. firmly screwed to headshell, but not too tight. record isnt too bad. i think the problem is although it happens when the needle is closer towards the spindle, when its closer to the edge of the record it is much worse. without a record or slipmat if i push on either side of the platter gentl it "bobs" quite noticeably. platter wobble problem? do you think i can fix this by myself or should i send it in to the US supplier? or is this normal.

im sure most platter have a bush which will after time get worn out....you will have to order a new one. a hammer and a bar may work but if in doubt get some professional to do it

i think the problem is although it happens when the needle is closer towards the spindle, when its closer to the edge of the record it is much worse.

Hey man, I've got the same set up as you and that sounds to me like a warped record!

As far as platterwobble - you've probably tried this anyway, but try swapping around the platters and see if that makes a diff. Also you defo shouldn't need to have the tonearm raised.

Infact, the platter on mine wobbles too...

So, are you a heavy handed motherfucker?!

well the hole for my butter rugs are getting a bit big, that a major deal? the thing that makes me notice that its even a problem is the same records same surface same needle setup on my PDX skips more than it does on my technics mk2 and the reason i wanted a pdx was so it skipped less? lol

but yeah i checked out a pdx model at the store and it does wobble but its not like mine. its more 'smooth' when it does it while my platter jerks around more

• 2 weeks later...

How long you had the decks? i have heard of a few people with this problem, vestax do a mod for this problem just ask the place where you brought them from and if there under warranty and they should send them back?

failing that have you bedded the needle in cus my 447's did the same on my pdx2000's when i first brought them they were fine after a few hours of use. other than that you must be heavy handed!!!!!

hope this is of some help to you?

:8

make sure the needle hasnt been bedded in an s-arm deck beforehand (like a tech) as it wont be any good for a pdx.

monkey hands had a pdx tone arm that would bend all over the place, and come out!!!

my pdx's, for the record are fine. they dont skip unless the record / stylus is fucked. one of them is suffering from a bit of motor fatigue, but it is the one that dub-se7en uses. i think he has worn it out with power cuts ;)

i think longevity wise a tech is better, but in the pdx's shorter lifespan, the use will be more enjoyable (for cutting anyway)

i set my tonearms at the bottom, and use about 3g's weight, on m44-7's. no problems at all.

my pdx's, for the record are fine. they dont skip unless the record / stylus is fucked. one of them is suffering from a bit of motor fatigue, but it is the one that dub-se7en uses. i think he has worn it out with power cuts

i know that feeling :o

along with faded mixer platters lol ;)