how do isee how much memory i've got ?

la ressistance

how do i get that little pie chart thingy that shows how much memory i got ? since i got broadband i've been downloading loads of music and films and stuff and i reckon it must be caning my memory.plus i don't know how much my computer holds ,so i get paranoid about downloading too many files over 100 mb. cheers.

No worries mate. Also, while you have My Computer open, if you go to View at the top and make sure Status Bar is ticked, then you can just left click on a drive and see the size of it and how much space is left displayed in the bottom left of the window, like this: -

disc.jpg

Guest Deeswift

It seems quite a common thing to refer to hard drive space as memory. If you do want to check how much memory is in your system, right-click the My Computer icon. There you'll see on the General tab how much RAM is installed.

post-5-1121887138.gif

Guest Deeswift

It's a small amount. Depends on what you're doing with your computer though. If you are running Windows XP, the bare minimum you'll need is 128 MB. With this amount, XP will run, but it's dog slow. It will even run with 64 MB RAM, but that's pushing it. Using a little more RAM will help greatly, even an upgrade from 128 MB to 256 MB will show a big difference in startup times of the OS itself and your programs. I used an old Duron machine for a few years with 128 MB RAM, then bought another 128 MB stick, and for basic stuff it worked OK, but it was still pretty slow. 512 MB is a decent amount of RAM. This will run everything well, especially if the RAM is low latency. You might struggle with some games, FarCry for example, but you can generally get by with 512 MB.

1 GB is nice, no program or game has caused a problem on my machine. Right now I'm using 2*512 MB sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC3200. Recently it dropped in price, which is the reason I upgraded to 1 GB from 512 MB. The difference in performance is very good, btw. The first stick cost like £88, then less than a year later the same RAM costs about £58. Both sticks were bought directly from Crucial.com. If you're looking for high performance memory it's pretty good stuff at a decent price. Of course, your motherboard has to support DDR400 memory.

RAM is one of the best and cheapest ways to upgrade an older PC IMO. I've only got a P3-800, but with 640MB RAM it's great - boots quick and programs are as responsive as I need them to be with no sitting around waiting. If I take the 512MB stick out, it's slow and annoying as fuck - I couldn't use it if it was like that all the time.

Guest Deeswift

It was the same with the Duron machine. I upgraded to 256 and was like "holy shit, that's better!". I imagine your machine is a decent little workhorse Steve.

Yeah it's decent man. The main thing to me is the annoyance factor. lol. I had an old Cyrix 133 with 32MB of RAM and I'd wait so long for programs to start I could feel my blood pressure rising. I'm yet to feel the same way about this machine. The only time it ever slows up is if I have say 10 tracks in Audition with effects on them. When that happens I usually mix it down to one file and the problem is solved. For everything else it's cool.

**EDIT**

Oh yeah, sometimes unzipping a huge file like a DVD rip can take fucking ages, but I use that time to go and make a cuppa tea.

it's all way over my head when it comes to computers.i don't know how to install new equipment,i wouldn't even know what the new equipment does.

Do you know the specs of your current machine? The processor and RAM? Unless you're using some ancient model then the processor is probably OK for most tasks. Tweaking XP can also gain you quite a few benefits. There's a lot of useless stuff that can be disabled.

Yeah well there you go. The processor is fine for the vast majority of tasks, but you have a low amount of RAM. If you invested in some more, preferably at least 512MB, I reckon you would definitely notice a difference in performance.

Mowgli - You're getting RAM, memory and hard disc space all mixed up dood! lol.

Hard disc space is like a filing cabinet for storing all your files. The contents are not lost when you power off your PC. The size is usually measured in gigabytes (GB).

RAM is random access memory. When you open a file on your PC, it's loaded into RAM. The more RAM you've got, the easier it is for your PC to handle large files or do more tasks at once. The contents are lost when you turn off your PC and the size is usually measured in megabytes (MB).