Technics RCA cable replacement instructions

Guest Deeswift

I replaced an RCA cable on my old 1210, and it was very easy, so just to confirm that it's not a difficult task to anyone thinking of doing it.

I just took the bottom of the deck off (the rubber bit), unscrewed a few clamps and desoldered the wires. soldered the new ones and all was working great. A 10 minute job that's worth doing, especially if you are using high quality cable. Didn't need a guide, it's simple.

You know, I was almost put off helping my mate out with this with horror stories of how difficult this fix was, glad to hear somebody sensible say that it's in fact an easy fix. My mate want's me to help him out replacing his knackered his RCA's and I was under the impression that it was a bit of a bitch of a job getting the base off and that, most people on the net say it's a nightmare to do but I guess most of them were either stupid or they hadn't even tried the mod (maybe a combo of the 2?!)

Cheers Dee man! If it all goes wrong I'm blaming you! ;)

pz

I once wrote a whole site on Technics shit (too much free time at work), but that was about four years ago and I'll be fucked if I know where it is now... it's definately still there though, because every so often I get random e-mails. Mainly from continental europeans... ??

I was under the impression that it was a bit of a bitch of a job getting the base off and that

Hmmm. Well, it's easy enough, but you'd be surprised how often it causes problems. The screws are a bit softer than you'd think, so if you open it too often, you can end up cocking them up. Having said that, I think I've mislaid half-a-dozen of mine moving my decks around and they feel as solid as ever.

Also, the rubber is all too easy to locate poorly. Once or twice I screwed the deck back up, only to realise that the sides were a bit kinked, and could not be corrected without removal and refitting. The base is quite flexible, so it's a good idea to do up opposite screws in rotation, bit by bit.

All simple stuff, though. No reason there should be a problem if you don't hurry the job, innit.

Oh yeah, I dunno if that site mentioned it or not, but if you flip over a dust-lid lid and wrap it in a towel, then sit the turntable in it upside-down, the tonearm will be nice and protected throughout the job.