Mainstream music

Dub-Se7en

i'm playing a house party tonight and the crowd there is 'mainstream' *shudders*. i've collected some music that i'm gonna play out using FS tonight but can't mix pop music for shit. anyone got any pointers cos dropping 80's and 90's hip-hop all night just ain't gonna fly....

Might be a bit late now, but try and get your hands on some Wicked Mix, X-Mix, Funky Mix, Hot Mix / Street Mix, Chicken Scratch, etc etc tracks.

Those tracks just about mix themselves! They are basically pop / crossover-urban tracks that have been remixed with a clean 16 bar intro and outro, so you can esily mix them in and out. The tracks themselves sound just like what you hear on the radio (ie not a thumping cheesy house mix)

rule of thumb.

if they dont mix, dont mix them.

pull out all the tricks. Echo fade a song out. * Hit the brakes. Do that erre erre errrr - hit the power switch off - and start the next song (can you tell i use 1200's yet?_). my other favorite is scratching in the next song during the 'break' - and just releasing the song with the fader on that channel.

be creative dub. you are far to talented to let that shit get in your way.

good luck

* my brakes have the looooooong drag so this is always the easy way out for me. take advantage of all your equipment and it's features. My DN-S5000 allows me to either looooong drag - short drag - or even use echo effects... at the click of a button. i love that machine...

Edited by David iLL

well, i mixed a few mainstreamers then said fuck to it and span what i wanted. went down well still.

it was a bit of a wash out anywayz, cos only a handful of people turned up. when i was younger we used to pack houses out with people, now it just doesn't come together....

oh that! yeah i played two nights in total and i fuckin ripped it up!(whoops, bighead). it was quite a wierd feeling ending my set then the whole room starts cheering and clapping you. there were some good dj's there but i was hyped and was on a mission and hit 'em with every trick i knew....

what pissed me off was the night was being pulled after that for some reason. hopefully i'll be playing at another night soon.

that's a fuckin' ace plan mate. there's quite a few places in stoke/hanley that would be ideal, the old ST1 strip bar would make an ace hip-hop joint. my mate runs a DnB night there at the moment and i think it's pretty cheap to hire.

yup, i often have 4 deck session round a mates house, but that's spinning house. the other week we ran 4 copies of beltram's energy flash at the same time, the flange effect was mental! sad....

wish i could have heard that. I just mastered flanging, getting better with it as i advance. i tried to flange between different tracks. works well with two songs by trance[]control: beginning of Restricted Area & the the end of Peak Time. As for the lloyd banks - its a good party floorfiller, so is ll cool j - headsprung, houston - i like that, still works well here in CO... the album dropped aug. 13, so its still kinda fresh out here, so people will dance to it.