i need skratch help?

HiTek

anybody got any tips on linking scratches together? I know i need to practice, practice,practice but im sort of stuck in a rut right now. I can perform basic scratches but i have trouble putting those simple scratches :) together in a combo. When i do try combining scratches it sounds wack. can u scratch fiends give me advice? Thanks :)

Just go slow to start with and keep it simple. Try pushing yourself when you feel your a bit more comfortable with the pattern your practicing.. You might also find that the more practice you get with the scratches you are trying to combine, the easier it will be to combine them so get em tight first and it might save you some time. hope this halps an welcome to the board.

i don't know if this helps,or makes any sense ,but here goes.

when i put combos together i put them in order of how i'm most comfortable starting each scratch. E.G.= a one-click flare i can only go into when i start the scratch with the sample playing forward where as a two-click orbit i can go into when i'm pulling the sample back so i'd do them in that order.transforms i can do either way so i can use them before or after any scratch.

this post makes no sence to me when i read it.so it's probably no-use to you.but that's how it works in my head. :|

with practice it will become second nature

sometimes im amazed how natural it is to do some techniques that i couldnt fit in my thick skull a few months ago and now i dont really have to try, i know its annoying but practice really does make perfect

Yep. Practice is the key. Cutting with mates is good as is recording your sessions and listening back to them to see where you're strong and where you're weak. Plus if you keep them, you can listen 6 months down the line and hear how much you've improved and feel a lot better about things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

yeah, im in the same boat as well... i read all you guys and how you post "2 click delayed flare into crabs" and stuff.... im just moving past forward tears and little stuff... ive been scratching for almost 6 months, done a few parties, mix pretty well, but my scratching needs work.

my advise is don't try and learn set techniques. just mess around and when you find a sound u like, learn it, and then add it as a star to a combo, so u know u can do it etc.

that helps me, i just like experimenting, and its made me improve.

practice does make perfect

anybody got any tips on linking scratches together? I know i need to practice, practice,practice but im sort of stuck in a rut right now. I can perform basic scratches but i have trouble putting those simple scratches  :) together in a combo. When i do try combining scratches it sounds wack. can u scratch fiends give me advice? Thanks  :)

apart from sessions and practise you need to train to switch between scratches. e.g. form chirps to forwards.

this will definitely take time but you can only do tight combos when you can perform different styles of record and fader movements in a row.