Using torrents to get your music heard

Steve

I uploaded the link to my mix to several forums and websites, but I decided to try and make a torrent so people could use BitTorrent to download it. I used a program called Make Torrent and it's really easy to do. I left the file seeding at about 4am this morning and there was nobody connected. I woke up at about 11 and there were 14 people downloading and 4 full seeds of the file. That's not bad considering I only uploaded the torrent to one site and nobody will have heard of "M-Style & Sigma"! There's still three people downloading it now. I've been trying to get it on Suprnova, but at the moment the uploads are not working.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this for anyone who's got some music they want others to hear. You don't need to upload the actual music all in one go to a server - you just use a BitTorrent client like Azureus to allow other people to connect to your machine and take the file(s).

If anyone wants any more info on how to create a torrent and where to upload it then just ask. I'd say you need a broadband connection for it to work well though because initially someone has to be able to upload the file from you to start things moving.

Yo Sigma that sounds like something I would be interested in! I am starting a street team and and will be needing people to pass out some CD's or share MP3s. Gonna try and through in some stickers , t-shirts, and arm bands. Hope some of yall are intersted. As of now I need a strong street team in the US. But I know you Pro-UK (lol) fellas represent too. Holla!

I'll be interested to see how many people download from me once the link is on Suprnova. I've seen mixes on there by total unknowns that have had well over 100 downloads on the go at the same time.

I'll help you out with whatever you need Gabe. Just gimme a shout man.

Thanx for the link man, good lookin out! I am about to get GabrielSaintMusic up and runnin full throttle. If anyone wants to help, I sure need it! I got some album and tour ideas kickin around. Gotta get some fanbases in a couple different areas to play to.

The club/bar I used to have a residency in has a really popular rock night every other Friday. The place only holds about 400 or so but it gets fucking packed out. They play all sorts of rock music so if you could get some sample CDs to me or something I could certainly get them distributed.

I managed to get the torrent up on Suprnova in the early hours of this morning. So far, about 20 people have grabbed the mix from there. There's 10 getting it right now.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevebluck/images/Suprnova.jpg

My only advice is when you create a torrent, don't use any kind of symbol in the torrent name as Suprnova doesn't accept them. That includes things like the & sign. This has definitely been more successful than posting the link on web forums anyway!

Hehe. No worries mate. I'm not really trying to achieve anything with this CD anyway. I'll be quite happy as long as someone out there enjoys listening to it. Drum & Bass isn't my thing either so I wouldn't like to spin it at a club really. I used to like to cut over it, but I can't cut at full speed to it and half speed sounds too slow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah for sure mate. I remember saying to Marc who made the mix with me that we would be lucky to get 100. It shows how many people are using torrents I guess. I wonder how many total downloads a well known artist's album would get?