Using torrents to get your music heard

Steve

I think I ended up with a share ratio of about 170:1 on a 96Mb file. I reuploaded the torrent to 3 sites a few days ago and after a single day there was something like 250 complete downloads which is surprising since Suprnova has gone. I used to use TorrentSpy to check on the number of seeds and peers and if there was only 1 seed and a fair few peers I'd start seeding it again myself so it didn't die.

Guest Deeswift

Cool. You proved that BitTorrent is a great way to get your sounds out there anywayz. Shame you're not earning some cash from this. I notice that DJ mixes get so many downloads though, people always want them.

• 8 months later...

Steve can you help me do this? Are CDs came into today and I want to get the street team and what not going. Along with the remix contest. Holla.

Huw - There's no way to know mate. Some torrent sites let you track the number of downloads, but some don't. There's also know way of knowing all the torrent sites it's on.

Gabe - No problem. Firstly, download MakeTorrent from THIS page.

Rip your CD to nice quality mp3s and include any artwork and information. Make sure everything is in one folder. You can zip the folder, or you can leave it as it is - it's up to you. If you do zip it, people downloading it can't see what's in it until it's downloaded so I guess that's probably a disadvantage.

Fire up MakeTorrent and using the window on the left, browse to the folder/zip file on your PC that you want to share. You should see the file(s) appear in the right hand window. Press the All button at the top to highlight them. Now use the drop-down list where it says "Tracker:" to select a tracker. Pick any, because you'll be editing it later anyway. You can add a comment in the Comment box at the bottom of the screen. This short message appears in the downloader's BitTorrent program. For example, you could put "For more info visit www.thehaloerror.com". Once you're done hit the "Create .torrent now!" button, choose a name for it and where to save it.

Now, you must edit the torrent file to use a working tracker, preferably one where people don't have to register. In MakeTorrent, click on the View/Edit Torrent tab and to the right of the box that says "Torrent", hit the little button with three dots on it. Browse to your torrent file and select it. Change the Announce URL to one of these: -

http://mongo56.org:3434/announce

http://bittorrent-support.com:2710/announce

http://tracker.prq.to/announce

I've not used the middle one of the three before, but I have used the others and they work fine. Once you've done that, hit the Save button to save the changes and exit the program.

Now all you have to do is put the folder/file you are sharing into the download folder that your BitTorrent program uses, then double-click the torrent file you created earlier to open it. Your BitTorrent program will open and the folder/files will appear in the download window. A counter will go from 0 to 100% as the contents of the folder are quickly checked, then the torrent will switch to the seeding window. That means you're ready for people to connect to your PC and take pieces of the file.

Finally, you need to go to torrent sites and upload the torrent. Mininova.org is a good start, but do a Google search and upload it to as many as you can. Some will be registration only and some will only allow you to use their own tracker, but there's quite a few out there that will accept any torrent at all.

Now you sit back and wait. It can take a few hours for anything to happen, but eventually you should see peers connected and downloading from you. Once one of those peers has downloaded the complete file, it becomes a seed. If there are enough seeds, then you can stop seeding the file yourself. It's worthwhile to check on the number of seeds every now and then and if there are only a few, or even worse none, you can start seeding the file again yourself. Once a file has had 0 seeds for a certain amount of time, most sites will delete the torrent as it's dead so you need to keep an eye on it.

If you have any questions, just ask, but I think I covered it all.

Huw - There's no way to know mate. Some torrent sites let you track the number of downloads, but some don't. There's also know way of knowing all the torrent sites it's on.

Gabe - No problem. Firstly, download MakeTorrent from THIS page.

Rip your CD to nice quality mp3s and include any artwork and information. Make sure everything is in one folder. You can zip the folder, or you can leave it as it is - it's up to you. If you do zip it, people downloading it can't see what's in it until it's downloaded so I guess that's probably a disadvantage.

Fire up MakeTorrent and using the window on the left, browse to the folder/zip file on your PC that you want to share. You should see the file(s) appear in the right hand window. Press the All button at the top to highlight them. Now use the drop-down list where it says "Tracker:" to select a tracker. Pick any, because you'll be editing it later anyway. You can add a comment in the Comment box at the bottom of the screen. This short message appears in the downloader's BitTorrent program. For example, you could put "For more info visit www.thehaloerror.com". Once you're done hit the "Create .torrent now!" button, choose a name for it and where to save it.

Now, you must edit the torrent file to use a working tracker, preferably one where people don't have to register. In MakeTorrent, click on the View/Edit Torrent tab and to the right of the box that says "Torrent", hit the little button with three dots on it. Browse to your torrent file and select it. Change the Announce URL to one of these: -

http://mongo56.org:3434/announce

http://bittorrent-support.com:2710/announce

http://tracker.prq.to/announce

I've not used the middle one of the three before, but I have used the others and they work fine. Once you've done that, hit the Save button to save the changes and exit the program.

Now all you have to do is put the folder/file you are sharing into the download folder that your BitTorrent program uses, then double-click the torrent file you created earlier to open it. Your BitTorrent program will open and the folder/files will appear in the download window. A counter will go from 0 to 100% as the contents of the folder are quickly checked, then the torrent will switch to the seeding window. That means you're ready for people to connect to your PC and take pieces of the file.

Finally, you need to go to torrent sites and upload the torrent. Mininova.org is a good start, but do a Google search and upload it to as many as you can. Some will be registration only and some will only allow you to use their own tracker, but there's quite a few out there that will accept any torrent at all.

Now you sit back and wait. It can take a few hours for anything to happen, but eventually you should see peers connected and downloading from you. Once one of those peers has downloaded the complete file, it becomes a seed. If there are enough seeds, then you can stop seeding the file yourself. It's worthwhile to check on the number of seeds every now and then and if there are only a few, or even worse none, you can start seeding the file again yourself. Once a file has had 0 seeds for a certain amount of time, most sites will delete the torrent as it's dead so you need to keep an eye on it.

If you have any questions, just ask, but I think I covered it all.

Give me a day or two to digest this.

• 2 months later...