How often do you practice?

Steve

i was nervous when i started playin' out, but the extra adrenalin sped my cuts up like fuck so i soon settled in...

agreed.

the exception is an off day.. ive had some off days when i cant click anything right.. seeing as how i am a mix dj i like to build my momentum up by just mixing and trick mixing - that usually builds my confidence and gets the adrenaline pumping that i need to pull off the scratching..

I do it the other way round! i'll warm up by scratching then bust a mix...

i started out a mix dj but i've definatly turned to a scratch dj. gotta get more mix practice in cos if you can't mix you can't rock a party. nobody is gonna listen to 8 hours of scratchin no matter how good it is. after a couple of mixes i settle in ok though.

my problem is mixing the more mainstream stuff. example, i'm dj'ing a house party for a mate and the crowd is gonna be 'mainstream'. i've been trying all day but can't blend mainstream music well at all. actually i could do with a few tips but i'll start another topic so i don't hijack this one....

dood. just about every thread on this board gets 'hijacked' at one point or another.. but that was courteous of you. yooooure suuuuuch a gentleman. lol

well.. i bought turntables to scratch primarily... but i get a solid stiff one by just mixing alone so i dont know. i guess i'm just special. :49_49: in a geeky sorta way..

:blink:

i like this sigma "Scratching can be frustrating but only if you pile too much pressure on yourself. Just relax, practice and your skills will grow in time"

i am still shit at scratchin ..but i just can't get away with it, I normally pratice 1-2 hours for a day, i do think skills grow by time !! remember when i got my mixer away for repair..it was like hell without scratching

Easy - you cleaned that fader yet? Hehe.

I used to get frustrated with scratching. I'd try and do a scratch for hours that I couldn't do and it would wind me up. The flare is one example. The thing is I can do it now and I think "why did I get so pissed off about it?". I think it helps to record stuff and then listen to it a few months later. You'll hear how much better you are and it gives you confidence.