XBOX?

Clownstyle

in my opinion the Xbox is the better bet over the PS2. it has better graphics, a huge hard drive, there's no need to buy a multi-tap, Halo 2!, better DVD player than the PS2.

however, you can get some games on the PS2 and not the Xbox such as Pro Evolution and GTA (i think). also, you need to buy a remote to watch DVD's on the Xbox - damn Microsoft...

Guest Deeswift

I thought they were all 8 GB drives. Whatever, replace that measly drive with a 120 GB, storage costs fuck all these days, especially IDE HDD's. I'd go XBOX Clown, PS2 has had it's day, there's hardly anything on PS2 worth playing. All these consoles have had their day really, PC is blowing them away, but for £99 the XBox is a bargain and with mods, a bigger drive, dashboard, etc it's pretty awesome.

you could wait for Xbox2 to come out but how much will that cost? £300 odd i expect. at £99 you can't go wrong and the Xbox is gonna be good for another couple of years at least (i.e. while you wait for Xbox2 to drop it's price!)

What I would do (and will do at some point) is make sure you get a system where you can play copied games. There's no point buying a cheap Gamecube for £60 for example, but then you gotta pay £30-£40 for the games. I know there must be some way to copy those games cos you can download them off Suprnova but I wouldn't know where to start.

This is partly why I'd like a Dreamcast. You can download tons of games and burn them to regular CDRs and even if they ain't cutting edge top quality shit, you'll have plenty to keep you entertained when you're bored. If you're looking for the best games then just stick with the PC I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently XBOX2 is going to have NO BIOS, so as to make it 'unchhippable'. Dunno how that's supposed to work.

Gamecube warez is booted off a data cable, through the broadband adapter, off your PC, AFAIK. But I have seen 8cm DVD-R's around, so maybe that's how you do it now.

DC still rocks.

PS2 still rocks - it's all about the musi...erm...games...!

XBOX - where else are you going to get a Media Center for £99, plus some extra for the chip & HDD. And if that PVR thing is true (never heard about it before), then I might have to consider getting one,

PS3 & XBOX2, IMO are probably not worth getting at least for a year after their release. New consoles are always waaay overpriced - just wait til you can pick one up for under £200, at least.

AND hopefully, I'll finally have a proper 'gaming-quality' PC come early next week! Look out Far Cry, Doom 3 & HL2...

Guest Deeswift

Nice on Chee, hope you get your machine soon. Still gonna go with similar components to my rig? You'll be happy with it if you do mate, this machine is so fast it's funny.

Yeah, it's still the same components as I said before...

Antec Sonata Case

Antec 380W Trupower PSU

MSI K8N Neo Platinum MOBO

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Newcastle core only, with the 512kb L2 cache)

512MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 RAM (your recommendation)

Hightech IceQ Radeon 9800 Pro (another one of your recommendations!)

and I'll be sticking in, from my current setup

120GB Maxtor 7200RPM HDD 2MB Cache

40GB Maxtor 5200RPM HDD

Pioneer 106 DVD+/-RW 4x burner

Liteon 482412s CD-RW

17" CRT monitor

and my floppy drive, just for good measure.

Guest Deeswift

That machine will fly. Will you be overclocking at all? Reason I ask is because if you don't wanna OC or you just want a small-ish OC then you're possibly better off with the PC3200 RAM. Then again, I'm using the PC3200 and I just ran Aquamark 3 with my 3200+ Clawhammer CPU @ 2.33 Ghz, up from 2.0 Ghz. I was able to achieve that on relaxed RAM timings from 2-2-2-5 to 2.5-2-2-5 and boosting the RAM voltage up to to 2.80V, so some decent OC's are possible with the PC3200 and the timings are better than the PC4000. On the other hand, the PC4000+ would probably run 2-2-2-5 timings @ 200 FSB anyway! Well, I couldn't boot at anything past there and run rock stable without relaxing the timings further which I don't wanna do. Also, I'm still currently using the stock AMD CPU cooler, so it ain't a good idea to push it too far without buying a better heatsink & fan (soon), possibly a better northbridge cooler too. Anyway, the AM3 benchmark is in my sig.

Blah. So, here's what I would do... buy PC3200 RAM, run your PC at stock (DDR400) speeds for at least 3 days (needs burn-in time), then tighten the RAM timings to 2-2-2-5 (default Ballistix PC3200 is 2-2-2-6) or turn on Aggressive Timings in the BIOS which will force a tRAS of 5 anyway. I'm getting slightly higher memory bandwidth efficiency with Aggressive Timings enabled even though manually setting the RAM to the same values in theory should give the same performance.

Anyway, if your RAM ends up giving similar performance to mine, you should be able to run rock stable to at least 212 FSB (probably higher if you get well clocking memory), meaning your Newcastle core CPU will be at 2320 Mhz, as your CPU has an extra 200 Mhz than mine (the trade off for 50% less L2 cache than the Clawhammer core A64 3200+).

Now, assuming you're running at a command rate of 1T, and optimized timings of 2-2-2-5, you might find the PC3200 topping out around 218 FSB. After that, you could return the RAM to default 2-2-2-6 and try pushing the FSB a little higher. If you lose stability, relax the CAS latency to 2.5.

Sorry for this complicated shit, I'm fucking stoned on strong weed. And I just had to stop halfway through writing to listen to a song I have on here, I just realized it's the best guitar playing I've heard in my life. Hehe.

Good luck on putting yer new machine together, if there's anything I can help with, HOLLA!

PS: hope your power supply holds up, that Antec 380 would worry me when it came to OCing and stuff.

PPS: This A64 3200+ Clawhammer running at 2.3 Ghz is beating the 3400+ Newcastle's at 2.5 Ghz in a lot of benchmarks. The cache is making a big difference once the CPU is overclocked. Are you sure you can't find a Clawhammer? I know they're getting hard to find these days (especially the CG revision) but if you can only get the NC core it's still an awesome chip, no worries.

Yeah, the Clawhammer core CPU is rarer than hens teeth. They've stopped producing them, so everywhere is sold out.

And I've also already got the PC4000 RAM sitting in my grubby little hands! It was the first thing to arrive (thanks to Crucial.com's excellent service). Parcelforce have also literally *just* delivered my MOBO and CPU too.

Just checked the CPU - it's definitely a Newcastle core,with CG stepping.