Hard Drive Problem

Hello,

I have 2 hard drives. Main drive is serial ATA (120GB) partitioned into C(20GB)(os), D(20GB) and E(80GB) and i have an old 10GB IDE drive for audio.

I have a lot of samples stored on E and whenever i try and sequence any of them in sx i get cpu overloads. :@

Have tried defragging it with other utilities than ms (perfect disk) and that reduced the overloading a bit but its still almost constant. I get no such glitchin from the IDE drive.....

So basically my sata drive is fucked right?

A friend suggested it may be due to havin ide and sata drives in at the same time but it worked fine a while back. Considering buying another sata and gettin shot of the ide but maybe its summin else.. :s

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Havent found any info on this specific problem anywhere.

o1k

I'm no expert on hard drives at all but what I'd do (what I have done) is have your OS on the seperate drive along with your audio apps if possible.

If everything is on the same drive the hard drive read head has to thrash around like crazy accessing program information and then audio, more program info, OS tasks etc etc.

Split the workload between the drives.

Then again your problems might be related to another problem completely.

Hello squire! yeah im pretty good considering ive had bout 5 hours kip in 4 days. :s

How ya doin?

Site looks fkin great btw.

Yeah i considered a reinstall but the problem is with the E partition. The os and all apps are on c.

@ dextrous: you are completely right there. Ive always had a seperate drive for audio but when i got this audio ran fine off E. I guess the extra fragmentation etc is causing this maybe. Its is weird. 1 audio file should be able to play back ok.

Cheers for both yer replies. Considering gettin 1 or 2 10k raptor drives.

scsi speed :o

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/wes...#aHD_2d007_2dWD