q bert, d-dstyles and rucker - some questions

needler

i'm fairly new to the scene, i think Q bert is cool cos he clearly loves to cut, he has stayed with scratching thruout and his diy dvds are really good for learning to scratch. i know hes making nuff money from em but there is no better explanation fot all the scratches that i have seen.

BUT his style IS boring v.quickly. i like juggling and scratch musicians stylee stuff

anyway

why did isp split? d-styles is doin some dope shit right now, gunkhole is awesome, he was in isp, but now i keep seein ricci rucker sayin q is boring/tired etc on all the boards.

what is that about, i know what he's sayin, but to promote his own style surely theres no need to bring down someone elses?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Deeswift

Your last sentence sums it all up:

"but to promote his own style surely theres no need to bring down someone elses?"

No, there isn't any need for it, but that's exactly what he's doing.

As for Qbert, it ain't all about the DIY video's, those video's ain't shit. Look further back at the man's achievements, look at the way he has contributed to scratching as an artform. Everything would have been very different if it wasn't for Qbert. This is not me being a "fan", I'm simply stating facts. I know one thing though -- people expect too much from Q.

Look further back at the man's achievements, look at the way he has contributed to scratching as an artform.

get demolition pumpkin squeeze music

10 years old but still super dope

Look further back at the man's achievements, look at the way he has contributed to scratching as an artform.

get demolition pumpkin squeeze music

10 years old but still super dope

is that his legendary mixtape from 1993 i think?

Guest Deeswift

It's from '94.

"10 years old but still super dope".

Which means that "BUT his style IS boring v.quickly" has never been so untrue.

No one is fucking with that tape. No one at all.

from 1994.

gotta be the best mixtape (of it's type)

the cuts still rule today

if you find qbert boring you probably wont be (or havent been) into scratching for very long.

Guest Deeswift

I already am doing :d

Check back later, it'll take some time. I even posted a lossless version a few weeks back. Search the board for demolition pumpkin and you'll probably see all the threads about this mixtape.

welcome to the board needler, just like what you like, and dont hate on shit you dont really feel, and love what youre doing!

i have mad respect for q and d. both real humble cats that have done so much for scratching.

ive never met ricci rucker before so i cant say anything about him other than i like a lot of his music, i just hope he doenst attempt to clown me on the handshake.

Guest Deeswift
BUT his style IS boring v.quickly. i like juggling and scratch musicians stylee stuff

anyway

Coming back to this comment, are you saying Q isn't a scratch musician? Also, Q's juggles are amazing, IMO.

Guest Mike Reezy

I dont like demo pump skueeze that much... I mean its definitely not bad, and is definitely good, but how can you say "nobody is touching it" ?

I would much rather listen to phantaz, or even practice files people post..

I guess I just like to hear straight kutts rather than mixtapes witrh kutts in them...... it seems like a comprimise.

Guest Deeswift

I can say that because it's my opinion. Who else has put out a mixtape like this? In 94 this tape blew me away, and is one of the reasons I got into scratching. It's still good now, and it's not just hip hop / turntable heads that can dig it. Plus it's entertaining, funny, and I find it doesn't really get boring. That's just how I feel about it. You shouldn't be comparing DPSM to full-blown albums though, such as Phantaz. If you're gonna do that, compare it to Wave Twisters.

It's definitely in my top 3 mixtapes of all time. There are better tapes out there if you're into obscure breaks - this was almost certainly made with copies of Ultimate Breaks & Beats, but it's the way it's put together. There are good juggles, awesome cuts, samples from old hip hop movies, shit that makes you laugh, guest appearances etc. and it holds my interest all the way through. You can't compare an album that came out more than a decade later really. If you're gonna make a comparison, then tell me a mixtape you think is better.

Guest Mike Reezy

if youre gonna come with that mentality, then you cant say that its dope because it was dope in 94, you have too look at it retrospectively in a NOW sense.

At least thats how I feel, people that have done stuff in the past get mad respect for that, but if youre not currently innovating, im not really impressed.

thats my opinion