DOOM III LEAKED!

Guest Deeswift

Guest Deeswift

It shouldn't be too bad man. The card would be the weakest link, being an SE version. Is there any kind of soft-mod you can do with that? I'm wondering if you could flash it to 9200 Pro like you can with the 9800SE...

Nope - I checked about soft-modding, flashing the firmware, etc - the 9200SE is stuck as it is. Even OCing is out of the question - not that it matters anyway as it doesn't have a fan on it.

Anyway, what I've read so far is that the developers made Doom 3 with the intention of being playable and enjoyable even on lower spec machines, so I guess I'll be alright.

Guest Deeswift

I think it's basically a BIOS flash? Not sure. Basically various cards are built to the same spec as but some have disabled pixel pipelines and are sold as lower range models. Soft-modding opens up the disabled pipelines and usually enables it to be turned into the next model up, say from 9800 SE to 9800 Pro, and there's usually a pretty significant difference in performance. I'm gonna ask about your card on the AMD forums, TOAO. I'll get back to you about it in an hour or so.

I think it's basically a BIOS flash? Not sure. Basically, Clown, many cards are built on the same basic chips and stuff but have disabled pixel pipelines. Soft-modding opens up the unused pipelines and usually enables it to be turned into the next model up, say from 9800 SE to 9800 Pro. Big difference. I'm gonna ask about your card on the AMD forums, TOAO. I'll get back to you about it in an hour or so.

Ok thanks dee.. I could really use that extra power for doom 3.. I might even try and overclock it but im not sure of the limits of the card and i dont wanna push it too far :)

Good looking out Dee.

I remember reading somewhere about my card not being able to be beefed up though ;)

As far as Doom 3 goes - I can get it running at the lowest settings, but it's fugly. The textures are just like any other FPS game, not the uber detailed ones you see in the screenshots. The frame rate is also occasionally choppy, which sucks as I get '3D-sickness'.

I might leave this game until I get a beefier set-up... oh well.