A new hybrid turntable?

IDK why they wouldn't do an internal ground. Pretty interesting but that spindle lock is weird. Seems like a real pain in the ass. 

1 hour ago, djdiggla said:

Pretty interesting but that spindle lock is weird. Seems like a real pain in the ass. 

I wonder if you have to use it. That would definitely be a pain when doing a real vinyl set.

If you set it at a certain position, I wonder how well it holds it.

Also, some people use the spindle when mixing, so they'll twist or spin it, which obviously you can't do with this thing attached.

I would rather the adjustment for that mechanism be underneath, so you set it and then leave it. Then they could have had a magnetic 45 adapter that also works as a clamp.

That said, I'm a bit confused as to its purpose. In 2 of the reviews I watched, the reviewers made out that it was for adjusting the tension of the platter, but in Mojaxx's video, he doesn't mention that at all and implies that the control on it is for adjusting the clamping force for warped records.

It seems you don't need to use that clamp when playing real vinyl, but you do when using DVS.

Also, the friction adjustment knob that's part of that clamp sits inside an outer ring section, so you can grab the outer part of the clamp and twist/squeeze it like you might with the spindle when mixing. I reckon you'd adjust to that pretty quickly.

The step pitch feature is cool too IMO. In the video I posted, he's using a real song, so it leaves you thinking "what's the point?", but if you're using a locked tone or a musical sample, you'd be able to get pitch perfect notes.

• Like 1

Had a spin tonight on it, hooked up to a S9, my impression is that this turntable is rock solid, the spindle thing is easy to take off and put it back, although it feels a little awkward at first

But to use the spindle to speed up a little  as written above while mixing, isn't the same feel as a 1200,the spindle's top isn't round. I was just cutting on it tonight but you can leave it off if you want.

Design is nice although i'm not a pioneer fan but it makes a nice couple with a S9, pitch control has a wide range, filling the gap that 1200's miss

Buttons feel okay and are responsive but a bit small for me, should've been 8 buttons maybe.... depending on what you want

Maybe a midi connection would've been great just as the vestax players but possibly there is a workaround, i'm not familiar with that

Nice piece of gear which i probably never buy, pricewise I'd rather stick to traktor when it comes to DVS but i'm an old fart anyway, at the other hand i dont see NI coming up with something new when it comes to mixers

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, long time! I did the product launch video demo for these and a few other bits on my socials, and this mix recently:

I think Mojax did a great review of them:

In terms of features, the clamp provides excellent tracking in serato and having the midi pads set to a feature like stems is really handy, especially when combined with a dvs mixer like a S9/11 with its pads set to cues, for example

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 7:07 PM, Steve said:

I wonder if you have to use it. That would definitely be a pain when doing a real vinyl set.

If you set it at a certain position, I wonder how well it holds it.

Also, some people use the spindle when mixing, so they'll twist or spin it, which obviously you can't do with this thing attached.

I would rather the adjustment for that mechanism be underneath, so you set it and then leave it. Then they could have had a magnetic 45 adapter that also works as a clamp.

That said, I'm a bit confused as to its purpose. In 2 of the reviews I watched, the reviewers made out that it was for adjusting the tension of the platter, but in Mojaxx's video, he doesn't mention that at all and implies that the control on it is for adjusting the clamping force for warped records.

The full DVS signal is created from the clamp and spindle being connected, but you could use needles with control records if you didn't want to use the clamp and you don't need to use it at all for regular vinyl

The tension control on the clamp is for more controlling feel/resistance, and it can really help with playing with dished records or for extra resistance when scratching or doing spinbacks, I like having it on a more resistant setting as I'm quite heavy handed

• Like 3