Free Telly

djdiggla

This double screen TV looks pretty cool... and it's FREE. Catch is the second screen runs ads nonstop and there is a camera that watches you. I both love and hate this. Very dystopian but TBH if I didn't have a TV it would be pretty appealing. I could see some of the potential features of the second screen being pretty cool (order pizza, play games, place sports bets). The 24/7 mini screen ads is weird but wouldn't bother me... the camera tho... walking around in my skivvies watching toons in the morning.. sorry for whomever has to watch me. Couldn't you just put a sticker over the camera tho? freetelly.com 

Variety — The 55-inch main screen is a regular TV panel, with three HDMI inputs and an over-the-air tuner, plus an integrated soundbar. The Telly TVs don’t actually run any streaming apps that let you access services like Netflix, Prime Video or Disney+; instead, they’re bundled with a free Chromecast with Google TV adapter.

What’s new and different: The unit has a 9-inch-high second screen, affixed to the bottom of the set, which is real estate Telly will use for displaying news, sports scores, weather or stocks, or even letting users play video games. And, critically, Telly’s second screen features a dedicated space on the right-hand side that will display advertising — ads you can’t skip past and ads that stay on the screen the whole time you’re watching TV… and even when you’re not.

“Telly is giving away the device completely free,” said Pozin, the company’s founder and CEO. “The business will be entirely supported by advertising and affiliate revenue.”

The omnipresent ads on Telly’s TVs makes them far more valuable than traditional video advertising, Pozin argued: “We’re not just running 15-second prerolls.”

At some point, Pozin suggested, Telly users could place real-time sports bets on the second screen, or, say, order a pizza from Pizza Hut. (Of course, Telly would want to take a cut of each transaction.)

Telly on Monday launched its reservation system at freetelly.com, promising to start shipping the first 500,000 free TVs to qualifying U.S. consumers this summer. When you sign up through the company’s app, Telly will ask for specific demographic, TV-viewing and lifestyle info, which the company will use to target addressable ads to individual households. The TVs also have a built-in sensor that can detect the number of people who are watching at any particular time. Pozin emphasized that all of Telly’s features comply with privacy regulations.

I'd definitely need to see more before I signed up to get one.

For example, does the TV stop working if you cover up the camera? How intrusive are the ads?

Also, is there a shipping fee you have to pay? It's got a "too good to be true" feel about it.

The ads are in the right 1/4th of the screen supposedly. But maybe that becomes the entire screen when the main screen is off. Or maybe it's like an Alexa Show and has various info with the ad still just in that one corner. Guess you could always unplug it. I'd be someone will quickly figure out how to jailbreak it. 

Good question on shipping. Bet you have to pay but maybe not. Seems kinda petty to make you pay shipping when you are already getting a TV. Although I could also see you having to pay taxes kinda like on Opra freebees and gameshows. 

According to the terms and conditions, you are effectively renting the TV for no monthly fee as long as you keep it connected to the internet at all times, don't block the ads, don't disable data collection, don't modify the device etc.

You have to give them payment info up front and if they decide that you've breached their terms and conditions in any way, you have to return the TV. If they decide that the TV is not in perfect condition, they will return it to you and charge you $500 for it, then presumably you can use it as a regular TV with another service provider.

I really don't like the idea. It's too intrusive, and if someone finds a way to hack/jailbreak it, if they can't patch it, their business model is done.

What options are there for free TV in the US, as in, the actual TV service? Here in the UK, there's Freeview and Freesat, with both offering a fairly decent selection of non-premium channels, including HD and limited 4K content, plus they have apps you can use on your phone to watch TV there too. There's an initial setup cost, cos you'll need a digital TV aerial or satellite dish, and you may also need a set top box, but the actual service costs nothing.

IDK any free actual TV which is the most appealing part of this. As far a free service there’s over the air HD antenna and net TV built into TVs or via Roku. Those are what we have (yes I have an antenna on the roof lol) along with a couple streaming services like Hulu and ESPN+.