DJing in an AI World

djdiggla

https://djtechtools.com/2023/04/25/the-resurgence-of-djings-golden-age-could-come-with-ai/?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&_kx=v6H-sp5nnsOuDnphXdawpb4wN3iFxwv5FU-DCfgtCyXsgT1N_aZtgS3epT7kk4_l.UWNig7

This article was talking about how producers have overshadowed DJs but using AI to make tunes will diminish the cloud of producers and return DJing to the forefront. It is interesting... the idea of using AI to help make music. There's music in my head that I dont' have the time/ability to create. Would be cool even if it feels like cheating (isn't that what olds always say tho). But on the flip my fear is it would degrade both the producer and DJ. If producers can be replaced by AI the same can be done for DJs. An AI DJ hologram projection doing performances probably isn't that far away. Seems like the biggest loss would be at the local level. Why would clubs pay for a DJ when you can just subscribe to a virtual DJ service. Never thought this would happen in my lifetime and while it's somewhat exciting the changes will be massive. 

I think there's always a balance between "takes the skill away" and "enables more creativity".

To a lot of people, only the end result matters, but I don't agree with that. If I could give a track listing to a piece of software and it spat out a really awesome mix, I couldn't say that I'd made it, so there's no satisfaction to be gained from that even if I enjoyed listening to it.

As for music production, if anyone can create a "vast collection of original tunes" that easily, won't it just devalue production? I guess I would need to see a walk-through of the creation process when using AI. I don't know anyone who got anywhere with music production without putting many years of work into honing their craft, e.g. Lorn or Om Unit (2tall), and I don't know what a world where anyone can make a huge number of original tracks really easily would look like, nor whether it would be a good thing.

• Like 1

Totally. Also seems like with a vast collection there would be a lot of meh in there too. the same argument was/is had of sampling tho. I'm sure theres some way it could be used that would be skillful but it's hard to imagine for me especially considering I don't really understand AI workflow.

8 hours ago, djdiggla said:

the same argument was/is had of sampling tho

That's a fair point I guess. I've seen some people say that you need to really be flipping samples hard to make dope beats/tracks, but I don't agree with that either.

For example, RZA did next to nothing with the sample used for GZA's Liquid Swords, which is one of my favourite hip-hop songs of all time: -

But I think that's a big part of it; having a good ear for a sample, and knowing when something is dope without it having to be chopped up and flipped, then having an amazing MC do their thing over the top of it. That in itself is not simple.

• Like 1

Totally. Like is DJ Muro or Soulman or David Rodigan etc less of a DJ because they don't mix? (at least on the beatdigger stuff I have heard). Or battle in a technical fashion?There can be different ways to entertain and it doesn't always have to be technical. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 3:26 PM, djdiggla said:

Totally. Like is DJ Muro or Soulman or David Rodigan etc less of a DJ because they don't mix? (at least on the beatdigger stuff I have heard). Or battle in a technical fashion?There can be different ways to entertain and it doesn't always have to be technical. 

Sometimes, I think you could argue that something would be better if it was more technical. With DJing, I guess it's about balance, depending on the audience you're playing for.,

For example, I used to go to a funk night at a local club. The DJ didn't mix and just slammed from one song to the next. He played awesome tunes that really blew the roof off the place, so the night was still great in terms of the music, but would it have been better if he was great at mixing? I think it would, for sure. I can't see how anyone would have thought it was worse, but I'd definitely have thought it was better.

I think it's different with production though, cos sometimes less is more, with "Liquid Swords" being a prime example. I don't think that song would have been any better if RZA chopped and flipped the main sample, and it would likely have been worse, and he obviously knew that.

I see what your saying but seems like Liquid Swords is more like that DJ slamming through relying on another's music to carry it than actually being less is more.