Heard any good mixtapes recently? Is the mixtape scene on life support?

Steve

I'm a big fan of mixtapes made by DJs who go above and beyond when it comes to the technical side. Even the albums that were largely responsible for getting me into hip-hop, electro, scratching, and mixing in the first place back in the early 80s - the Street Sounds Electro albums - were really well mixed, particularly for that era, and involved tape splicing and what not.

There was a time where all of the big name battle DJs and tablists were putting out dope mixtapes; Qbert, Craze, Babu, Roc Raida, Cash Money etc. etc. etc.

Obviously there are still top class tablists putting out solid, technical mixes - Jon, for example - but it doesn't seem like the mixtape scene is really buzzing with excitement.

Am I just not looking in the right places? I used to follow a few blogs, but they all pretty much died a death. I had a go at running my own blog for a while, but I found it really hard to find consistently high quality stuff to post. I would love to find some dope new mixes to check out, so if any of you can help me out, please do!

• Like 1

you can go to mixcloud and randomly pic mixes.  but its a crap shoot.  depends on what your looking for. a lot of shit mixes out there.   you almost have to know dj's to get a good mix.  especially if your looking for something heavy on scratching and juggling. Im sure theres alot out there.  i find routines all time but mixes..... 

• Like 1

another thing. this is more of a rant....... mixcloud is no longer hosting unlimited mixes.  now its limited to 10 mixes for free. you got to pay $15 a month to host unlimited mixes.  so im not sure where im posting my next mix. i make nothing from this, so its hard for me to pay mixcloud $15 a month for everybody else to listen to my hard work for free.  that being said, im sure that will also make your search for quality mixes harder.  im sure im not the only one that dosent want to pay and also dont want to choose which mixes i keep on mixcloud.  

Seems like it's not how it used to be for sure. Lots more live mixes. Think even that is down because of livestreaming. Just a different world now. The mixes I do find are very thematic. Speaking of, have you heard that Fleetwood Mac series of mixes called Fleetmac Wood? Pretty good. 

@TBearOne8III Yeah, it's definitely a crap shoot. More like trying to find a needle in a haystack, in fact, lol. I can't remember the last time I took a punt on a random mix and it turned out to really blow me away.

I never knew that about Mixcloud. That sucks! That platform had so much promise but rights holders forced them to implement so much annoying shit that I pretty much stopped using it. You can't skip around a mix. You can't see the track listing in advance unless the DJ puts one in the comments. You can't play the same mix more than 4 times. You can't have more than 4 songs from the same artist in a mix, so no "best ofs" (not without breaking the site rules anyway).

I’ve been using an app on my iPhone called Loopy , alongside a cheap iOS sound card (sonic port - pretty cheap on eBay). Loopy is 8 track , so you get a lot more to play with than a standard loop pedal . 

11 hours ago, savwar said:

What would be on your list?

Buddy Peace - My favourite mixtape maker. I think Wolf Diesel Mountain is his best mix, but he's made a few other really dope mixtapes.

Qbert - DPSM of course, but some of his newer mixtapes are really good too, especially in terms of scratching.

DJ Babu - Comprehension (side A). Another early multitrack inspiration along with Q's DPSM.

Fuse One - Metamorphosis and iRREGULAR i are both great. The latter also features D-Styles and the Ruck on the cuts.

djblesOne - An under-appreciated mix DJ for sure. My favourite mix of his is Soul Walk 206, but he's put out several really good mixtapes.

DJ Unkut's mini-mixes that he put out a few years ago are great, if you like electronic music.

DJ Chief-One's 90s mixes are excellent if you're into that era of hip-hop.

Para - Smack My Pitch Up.

Spinbad's (RIP) mixes are really good.

Theory77 put out a bunch of dope mixes.

DJ Excel - One of the best live DJs and mixtape makers IMO.

DJ Curse - 80s Stuff. A sick mix of electro, freestyle, synthpop etc. from that era.

DJ Hedspin - First Crush. 80s electro and freestyle (mostly), and really well put together.

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of great mixes/DJs, but if any more come to mind I'll add them to this thread.

• Like 2

This is one of the best. Not overly produced but it's amazing.

and the other one in this series..

I loved this Monoxide - Back to the Basics Mix. It was made by someone from here or the DStyles forum, i can't remember exactly who, I think i heard about it from Booya, and he also got me the copy of the Afternoon Tea Breaks Battle Record that was by the same peeps... anyone remember who that might have been?

There's one called "Once I was a Pirate" by someone called Mix Bucannon, I can't find any mention of it online, but i have it somewhere. The title refers to a line in a The Stark Reality song that is featured on it.

Obviously the Neil Armstrong Original & 2 Original ones were very well put together... I listened to them to death.

Dj Woody & Sean Vinylment- A Country Practice.

Nice slow breaks and some nice subtle juggles and scratchy bits.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I wish some of MMM's early mixtapes (mid-90s) were available in high quality, cos they were dope.

The Infamous one you're talking about is probably "Secular Humanoiz". I bought an original copy of that from a magazine, back when it came out.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 8:47 PM, Steve said:

I wish some of MMM's early mixtapes (mid-90s) were available in high quality, cos they were dope.

The Infamous one you're talking about is probably "Secular Humanoiz". I bought an original copy of that from a magazine, back when it came out.

Yep, Secular Humanoids.  Turntable Scientific from Mr. Dibbs.  John Doe, AM Sessions.

Mike's early pause tapes were crazy, although they all seemed to have reoccurring parts.  They're totally unique though.  I'm sure the guys at Beastiemania have them all archived.  It's crazy what those guys have.  Mike's later tapes, like Rescue 916 and Neckthrust are also dope.  Not quite as crazy as those early ones though.

Marcus B Gollum's Ring, Matrix Mix.  DJ Signify was another one -Mixed Messages and Signifying Breaks.

Over the last 5 years or so DJ Ragz has put out a series of food based mixes (Pasta & Wings, Burgers & Sliders, Tacos, etc.)  Also one called "Stay Low Keep Firing" that's kind of a hip hop love letter.  The beats are all unpublished beats from people he collaborates with and Ragz cutting it up and tons of samples.  They're hilarious.  Well produced but not shooting for perfection. Pretty sure they're on Bandcamp.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Paul Nice Breaks For Days / Soul On The Grill

Conmen mixes

Don Cannon/Jaycee/Gene Brown - Sample Clearance

Babu - Konichiwa Bitches

This is one I really liked back in the day - it's from one of the guys on here but I can't remember their name! They had a mate Asup who did this killer mix of Yugoslavian Psych/Jazz: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tynyHf83rrX2XQCVCKd9-a6ur0HBShn7/view?usp=share_link

• 7 months later...

https://djjesterthefilipinofist.bandcamp.com/album/dj-jester-is-for-the-children

@steve check this one out. DJ from San Antonio. Released this year. I think he’s one of the few great mixtape DJs left. He’s doing a NYE set with another DJ I like but got plans with the fam so not gonna make it. Hoping they record the set. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

going through some of these mixes to a kiwi bbq in the blazing sunshine here in auckland right now...

i actually have Pawk Sqr4tch from the infamous days of UKHH / Snatchcon with me here in aoteraroa, new zealand, which also seems fitting to mention for any of you who are THAT old skool. lol (steve - im looking at you)