Netflix to ban account sharing shortly

Steve

They're implementing their new policies in the next month or so.

If you share someone's account without paying, you will be blocked from viewing content, you'll be prompted to create your own paid account, and if you do, you can migrate your profile over, including viewing history, likes etc.

There will also be an option for the OG account holder to pay extra in order to continue sharing their account with people outside of their home, which is rumoured to cost $4-$5 per extra person.

I haven't had access to Netflix for a long time and I can't say I miss it really.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they already started. My family is in the Ivory Coast consuming Netflix, my mother in law (also in the Ivory Coast in another household) and I out of Switzerland are all using the same account and now since last week-end it ain't working no more for me...

Anyways I'm happy they provide option 2.

I have Netflix since the get-go (my wife wanted one). Never really bothered watching it up until Covid. So I have periods where I only watch Netflix (some series are aight and some good documentaries) and YouTube and sometimes I just watch movies (torrents or via Blue Ray). What I stopped completely is cable tv...

• Like 1

I had it and let my folks use my log in. Dropped it a few years back. They ended up missing it enough to sign up on their own... got family plan and gave us a log in. Wonder if that means we are ok or what. If not whatever. There's plenty other better options.

Interested to see exactly the implications of this. My account is logged in at my mum's and my in-laws, so 3 residences. I do already pay the top tier multi-screen option. Strictly that should mean multiple screens (4) in the same geographical household, but feels a bit cheeky if I'm only using 3 and they get too worked up about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix have done a u-turn on this, claiming that the info that was posted on their website was "posted in error", lol. I'm sure their decision had nothing to do with the large backlash on social media, with people saying that they were gonna cancel their accounts and go elsewhere.....

• Haha 1