Sony announce the DualSense Edge controller

Steve

Announcement trailer: -

It's basically their version of MS's Elite controller with most of the same features. You can remap the controls and create profiles. There's trigger stops, so you can shorten the travel of the triggers, which now have a textured surface on them. The stick tops can be swapped out and there's 3 different types. There are triggers on the back, but only 1 each side. It comes with a braided USB cable and carrying case.

One feature that is unique is that you can easily remove the entire analogue stick modules, so if the controller develops stick drift after the warranty has run out, you can just buy a new stick module and easily swap it out without needing to use tools or do any soldering. Hopefully they won't price gouge too much on those, given that regular stick modules only cost about a buck each.

There's no word on pricing/availability yet, but I imagine it'll cost about as much as an Elite Series 2.

• Like 1

Nice. I really like my MS Pro controller. Replaced the sticks on the other with nicer metal ones too. Wasn't hard but gotta be careful not to snap those little clips... think I busted two but seems to hold together well still. Does PS allow external drives yet? Huge negative of the PS4 IMO.

It's the same with the Xbox Series consoles. You can play non-enhanced games from external storage, but enhanced games have to be played from internal storage or one of those expensive expansion cards.

It's cos the internal storage is so much faster than an external hard drive. For developers to be able to take advantage of that, it has to be guaranteed that their games will be running from it, otherwise you'd get games with stuttering issues, texture streaming issues etc. cos the read speeds weren't fast enough.

• 3 months later...

In the UK this will be a whopping £210. The replacement stick modules are £20 each, which is pricey, but it's cheaper than buying a new controller or paying a third party repair place to solder in some new sticks.

The controller will be available from January 26th.