NI Z2 alternatives

Hi,

about a year ago I asked on here about current good scratch mixers and most people pointed me to the NI Z2 Traktor, my missus has just tried to get me one for my 40th but they’ve been discontinued.

So what would be everyone’s recommended alternative? I’m only really interested in scratching and a bit of juggling, used to use an Ecler HAK310.

Thanks in advance

What kind of budget do you have?

I've not used one, but the Numark Scratch looks decent IMO. It has similar functionality to the Z2 (although it comes with Serato instead of Traktor), plus it has a Mini InnoFader. The reviews I've seen are all positive overall. It's £430 in the UK, but for some strange reason they don't include time-coded vinyl, so you'd need to buy those separately.

4 minutes ago, Bivalau said:

is the mini InnoFader shorter in length than normal faders?

Nope, but it's got a thinner stem (4mm) compared to the InnoFader Pro (8mm) and the body of it is smaller so it can fit into mixers where a Pro wouldn't fit.

You can replace the crossfader in the Scratch with various InnoFaders, including an InnoFader Pro2, but the line faders are soldered in place. I've tried to find info on how you can replace them, but I've drawn a blank so far.

Another option would be the Mixars Duo MK2, which usually retails for £500, but DV247 have it on sale for £285: -

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/mixars-DUO-MKII/art-DJE0006020-000

I dunno if that's a pricing error, cos it seems really cheap. That uses a Galileo crossfader, which is basically a Pro X Fade designed for the Mixars mixers. Again, I have no experience of it, and I've not checked out any reviews so I don't know if it has any issues.

There are plenty of second hand Z2s on eBay, some open box and a couple new ones. Still pretty happy with mine and I've had one for about 7 years now. Mini Innofader worked pretty well, but I eventually switched it to the InnoPro 2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 4:49 PM, JHouse said:

There are plenty of second hand Z2s on eBay, some open box and a couple new ones. Still pretty happy with mine and I've had one for about 7 years now. Mini Innofader worked pretty well, but I eventually switched it to the InnoPro 2.

Big difference between the two?

15 hours ago, jeljms said:

Big difference between the two?

To a certain degree, yes. It was very noticeable when I switched them out, especially since you can really fine tune the cut-in time and such. I've modded my faders in the past, but this was the best outcome.

i switched mines out as well.  I like the weight of the inno pro2.  i personally like heavier faders. not tension on the rails wise just heavier. I recently got a rane 72. I dont like that mag 4 fader at all.  it works but i miss my inno pro2. i'll eventually swap that one out too.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, update time!

I went for the Mixars Duo 2 which arrived yesterday, I’ve just ordered some new speakers (KRK RKT5 G4) which arrive on Monday.

So now all I need is cartridge/needle advice. Which are the ones to get for scratching now that Shure is no more? 

I rock with jico.  the replacement stylus fits the shure 447 carts.  they sound and perform the same as shure 447s to me. Im not the most extreme scratcher but i havent had an issue with them.  I been using Jico's for about 2 years now.  

• Like 1

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/j44a-7-dj-imp-nude/

unfortunately the cost of Jico's went up.  I only paid about $60 for just the stylus a few years ago.  found them on amazon.  ever since jico started making their own carts the stylus are around $125.  i only started messing with jico because their stylus fits the 447 cart.  to be fair, the ortofon vnl was not out yet when i needed a replacement.