Overwatch 2 launches October 4th as a free to play title!

Steve

People who own the first game will get a special founder's pack, including 2 epic skins, a founder's badge, and a surprise gift that will be announced later on.

As the game is moving to a F2P model, presumably it will have battle passes, but nothing has been announced yet. They're holding an event on the 16th, where they will likely talk about that.

Oh, and they announced another new character. A female tank called Junker Queen: -

T2aj4RE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I played the beta for the first time last night. Some initial thoughts.....

I really like the 2 new heroes, Sojourn and Junker Queen. In terms of graphics and sound, the game looks/sounds great, and I really like all the new voice lines and character interactions.

The new maps are cool and the "Push" game mode is fun, although I'm gonna miss 2CP.

I liked that any edits you made to the controls in OW1 automatically carry over to the OW2 beta, and presumably, the full game when it comes out. I changed the controls for a bunch of different characters in OW1, so it was nice to not have to do that manually in the OW2 beta.

The queue times are AWFUL unless you're playing support. We're talking 30 seconds or less for support, but 10-20 minutes to play tank or DPS, which is fucking nuts. Obviously though, only a limited number of people have access to the beta at the moment, and a lot of them will want to play the new heroes (DPS and tank).

Right now you have the option of playing quick play (role queue, or open queue) and custom games and that's it, but they are using comp rules in quick play, so it's round-based, which is cool. Presumably that's not how it will work in the final game.

I'm not a huge fan of the scoreboard. It shows more info than the one in OW1, but there's no medals, so you can't see at a glance how you're doing compared to other team members (not that medals are super-important, but still).

The emote wheel is a bit laggy right now. For example, if you want to say "hello" to your teammates and you quickly bring it up and press the appropriate direction, if you do it too fast it doesn't work, while in OW1 it works 100% of the time. You have to hold the direction a bit longer than you normally would to make sure it works. Hopefully they will fix that.

99% of skins, emotes etc. from OW1 have carried over to the OW2 beta, so you still have all your stuff.

I'm not really sold on 5 Vs. 5.

Overall, I feel mostly optimistic about OW2 and I think they've made quite a few moves in the right direction.

• 3 months later...

The launch didn't go well!

Yesterday, any time I tried to play, it said "In queue: 0 players in front of you" for a few minutes before timing out with an error message. I managed to get in once, but then I was kicked out after 2 minutes.

This sort of shit is hardly uncommon with online multiplayer games, so hopefully it's sorted out by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts on the game as it is now.....

It seems unfinished. A bunch of small things that I enjoyed in OW1 have been taken out; levels, player portraits, medals, on fire indicators, end game cards. There's no option to save a highlight. There's no looking for group feature. The PVE stuff, which was supposed to be a HUGE part of the game, is nowhere to be found and we won't see that content being added to the game until 2023.

The challenges are OK, but could do with a bit of work. For example, when you complete a daily challenge you get 3,000 XP, but only for the first 3 that you unlock, then the rest don't seem to give you anything.

The new maps are cool, but sometimes it feels like you respawn a long way away from where the action is.

Certain heroes seem really OP right now. Sombra, for example, is ridiculous as she can now hack you while remaining invisible, and when you're hacked you take 40% more damage, so if you're playing a character with 200 health you can be mown down before you have much of a chance to do anything. It sucks playing support and getting spawn-camped by the enemy Sombra. Nerfs are coming apparently though.

The battle pass content is good, but only if you pay for the premium version and are willing to put the hours in to get to level 80, which takes a long time.

The cost to buy skins and other cosmetics is nuts IMO, and there are already skins that you can only get if you pay real money for them. The legendary skins cost nearly 20 quid each!

The queue times to play anything but support are already starting to get long. If you flex (queue for all 3 roles at once), at least 9 times out of 10 you're gonna be put on support. It kinda sucks, but I dunno what they can really do to incentivise people playing support roles.

There are a LOT of people who have no idea what they're doing in the game, and who play it like they're playing free for all in COD, which is kinda annoying. The game is so fucking good when you get a group of players on the same team who work together, group up, play their roles etc., but it's rare for that to happen unless you play with 4 friends.

Overall it definitely feels like a work in progress, but now that it's a live service game, they have no excuse for not updating it frequently so I'm optimistic about its future.

The new Halloween event started today, which includes a new PVE mode called Junkenstein's Revenge: Wrath of the Bride.

What sucks is that there are no skins you can earn for free. In OW1, every new event came with a handful of new skins, and all of them could be obtained from lootboxes just by playing the game.

The prices are shit too, for example, here's the new Kiriko skin: -

s81z3Vt.png]

It's only available as part of a bundle that costs 2,600 coins, so to buy it you'd need to buy 2,200 coins for $19.99 and 500 coins for $4.99, so $24.98 in total. 25 bucks for 1 fucking skin! Also, note that they're advertising it as "29% off" even though it only came out today and this is the only price it's ever been.

You can earn coins from completing weekly challenges, however, the most you can earn in 1 week is 60 and that's if you complete all 11 challenges, so you'd have to complete all 11 of the weekly challenges every week for 44 weeks to be able to buy that 1 skin, lol.

Even if they cut the prices in half, they would still be too expensive IMO. I have no problem with paying to support a game that I like, but these prices just push me in the opposite direction where I won't spend any money on the game at all.

• Haha 1

On a more positive note, the new Halloween PVE mode is really good. The trailer made it look like it was just a remake of the previous Junkenstein mode, but with some characters swapped out and a different story, but it's totally new. It has some jump scares in it too, one of which got me, lol.

You have to play as Junker Queen, Ashe, Sojourn, and Kiriko in the story mode, but on the regular difficulty level it is very easy, so don't worry if you're not great at any of those characters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For Valentine's Day, they have created an Overwatch dating sim, lol: -

https://loverwatch.gg

There are several rewards you can earn; Mercy, Genzi and Hanzo player icons and titles, plus a new Hanzo highlight intro. If you just want the rewards, you can speed through the 3 necessary play-throughs in 5 minutes or so. Make sure you sign into your Blizzard account before playing.

• 1 month later...

The new season starts next week, and with it comes a new support hero called Lifeweaver who has some of the craziest abilities of any OW hero yet: -

Also, they're getting rid of seasonal map pools, which I give a big two thumbs up to.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's a bug in the game that allows you to fly as Sigma: -

What you have to do is trigger your ult so the circle appears on the ground, but move it so it's off the map, then just let the time run out - don't trigger it to rise up. You'll then be stuck flying. You can fire your main weapon from the air, but all of your other abilities will be greyed out.

BTW, if you do this in a real game, you might get banned. I only did it in the practice range.

When the game was originally announced, one of the main features they talked about was PVE, including having upgrades and skill trees for the characters, so as you levelled up, you'd be able to upgrade a character to your liking, improving their stats and giving them new abilities (in PVE only, not PVP). There were also co-op attacks you could do in combination with other players. They said there would be dozens of different enemy types, including big bosses where you'd have to work together to take them down.

At launch, the PVE content was not there, but Blizzard said that it would launch at a later date. However, yesterday, they did a live stream where they announced that the bulk of the PVE content is now cancelled. Instead, each season there will be some new PVE content, but in the style of the PVE content we've had in OW1 and OW2 so far. So, no skill trees or upgrades, no progression system, no co-op attacks, and not dozens of different levels and missions you'll be able to replay; just more stuff like Junkenstein's Revenge.

It's really disappointing, because this was going to be a huge component of the game, and people assumed that Blizzard had been working on this behind the scenes since 2019, when OW2 was announced, and they just needed more time to finish it off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Season 6 starts on Thursday this week, which brings a new support hero called Illari who kinda looks like a support version of Pharah, a bunch of PVE-based story missions, a new PVP mode called Flashpoint, 2 new PVP maps called Suravasa and New Junk City, a new mode called Hero Mastery which looks like it also teaches you how to play characters, a new co-op event called Underworld, as well as a new battle pass which features a bunch of new skins, emotes etc. to unlock.

It is the biggest content drop for the game yet, so I'm excited to play it! The only real negative is that the new PVE content is not free, so you'll have to buy it, but I expect it'll be around $10-$15, so not too pricey.

Trailer: -

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, djdiggla said:

You play O2 a lot? DL'd it but have logged exactly 0.0 hrs

Only in short bursts.

Since it went free to play, the number of griefers, throwers, trolls, AFK players and quitters has increased considerably, and there is seemingly no punishment from Blizzard for any of it, despite there being a reporting system built into the game.

Also, the matchmaking is still pretty bad.

When the teams are balanced and everyone is playing the objective, it's one of the best games I've ever played, but the fact that that happens so rarely now just adds to the frustration, so I'd rather just switch and play something else.

• 2 months later...