Send/Return Question

djdiggla

This is my current setup: Pioneer 909 mixer master out > Boss RC 505 Looper > speakers. 

Could I instead do: mixer send > looper > mixer return > master out > speakers? Trying to wrap my head around if that would have any negatives like feedback or something. thoughts?

Obviously I can just try it but hoping to not go to the effort if it will be a fail. #lazy

I havent' tried it yet but don't think it's going to work. Just gonna leave as is. Only reason I wanted to do it was to make powering on easier if I'm not using the looper. 

Not sure I'm understanding (not familiar with the 909), but I ALWAYS hook up my looper in the send/return loop of my mixers.  I use Rane mixers.  If I have other effects I'll put them before the looper in the chain (maybe that's obvious).  If there's a wet/dry on the looper then you have to set to 100% wet.

The  flexibility you get from using the effects loop is dope because you can choose which channel goes through the loop.  For example, sometimes I want a record playing on table 1 that's not feeding to the looper and I want the record on table 2 to be fed to the looper.  The effects loop makes that easy.  More control.

Anyway, props.  Loopers are a great live tool and a good way to try out ideas on the fly.  Like the Controller 1, it's one of those things where I don't understand why more DJs don't take advantage.

• Like 2

The 909s aux-send/return is not bad, but also not perfect (if ever there's a scratch-mixer out there that is perfect in combination with  a looper let me know). One thing that's dope on the 909 aux-return is, that it converts a mono-signal to stereo when only the left is connected on the aux-return. But otherwise I prefer the aux-send/return of the Rane TTM-56

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arkei said:

The 909s aux-send/return is not bad, but also not perfect (if ever there's a scratch-mixer out there that is perfect in combination with  a looper let me know). One thing that's dope on the 909 aux-return is, that it converts a mono-signal to stereo when only the left is connected on the aux-return. But otherwise I prefer the aux-send/return of the Rane TTM-56

That mono to stereo thing is dope!  Very useful for mono pedals.

The Rane 56 is my favorite too because I like the wet/dry control.  Not really needed for the looper though (if you put 50% dry through the loop you get 50% volume to the looper). 

I've also got a Rane 57mkii and it's the same as the 56 except (1) no wet/dry, just 100% wet, which is fine for a looper; and (2) RCA jacks instead of 1/4" connections, which I think is stupid.

Where I really like the wet/dry is reverb and delay.  Nicer pedals seem to be less of a problem for me but my Boss pedals always sounded worse if I used their internal wet/dry controls.  I could use the wet/dry slider on the mixer at like 80% dry and you'd get clear sound with a touch of reverb/echo.

• Like 1