New PC Build

Mista_Ed

Yo yall

So I'm gonna get a new Desktop PC - largely for creative projects - its likely ill mainly be using it for music production and design work but would also likely be doing some bits and bats of simple video editing - software wise, Ill basically need something to run Cubase and a range of Adobe packages - and that's probably that. 

Last time I got a desktop (which was about 15 years ago), I had a contact who ran a computer company and he basically built me one to spec, given his recommendations within a price bracket for each bit, so I didn't even have to really think about it - so I'm absolutely and completely out of touch with what people are running these days, or which manufacturers for certain components are recommended etc. 

I'd really appreciate any recommendations for me to look at or suggestions for what kinda of specs Id need - historically I've had better PCs custom built, as opposed to buying one "off the shelf" -  I definitely don't want anything entry / mid range level and id be happy spending a bit on something to get it right... but things have moved on a lot since I've done this process, so def need some ideas …if anyone can help me get started, that'd be wicked :)

cheers!

I've recently been eyeing up parts for a new build, even though I can't afford one, lol.

I think the AMD 5900X is a good CPU choice. I haven't had an AMD build for 15+ years, but in the last couple of years they've become really competitive with Intel again. It's a 12 core/24 thread CPU that also has great single core performance at a price that isn't too crazy (£450-£500 in the UK).

As for the rest, there's so much choice that it's hard to say what to go for really. Obviously you would want an NVMe SSD, at least to run the OS and some applications from, but I couldn't really say "go for this RAM, this MOBO" etc.

9 hours ago, Steve said:

I've recently been eyeing up parts for a new build, even though I can't afford one, lol.

I think the AMD 5900X is a good CPU choice. I haven't had an AMD build for 15+ years, but in the last couple of years they've become really competitive with Intel again. It's a 12 core/24 thread CPU that also has great single core performance at a price that isn't too crazy (£450-£500 in the UK).

As for the rest, there's so much choice that it's hard to say what to go for really. Obviously you would want an NVMe SSD, at least to run the OS and some applications from, but I couldn't really say "go for this RAM, this MOBO" etc.

nice one....well that's a start for me, cheers ill have a gander :)