Soundbars for TVs - Do you have one?

Steve

I know there's various types from cheap ones that just have stereo speakers, all the way up to ones that are 7.1.2, support Dolby Atmos, and fire audio in different directions to create a surround sound effect.

Do you have one? What sort do you have? What do you think of it?

I don't. Closest I had was with the Xbox 360 there was a matching Bose surround sound. It was pretty rad. Too bad that HD-DVD thing never took off 😔

I been thinking about getting a Sonos one since I replace a lot of my old wireless setup with sonos gear. But the lag with music makes me pretty weary of it's ability for movies. 

Audio really sucks on LG OLED's and they assume you're going to buy a nice soundbar.  Sound also fires downwards and is supposed to bounce off the TV stand towards you.  I don't use the basic stand (I have a vesa mounted tripod stand) so I don't get the benefit of that.

Dolby Atmos movies suffer the worst without a soundbar.  Dialog and sound FX are way too dynamic.  I have to crank the volume 75% to hear people talk, and then any loud sound effect (example: gunshot) is defeaning.  

I was looking into single soundbars and basically it's only worth it if you get a good one that is $600+.  I can live without it I guess.

Pimpin a Polk Audio MagniFi Mini Home Theater Surround Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer...Very happy with it!  Big sound for such a small set up!  I paid about $225 had for a year & a half.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-audio-magnifi-mini-home-theater-compact-sound-bar--works-with-4k-and-hd-tvs--wireless-subwoofer-included-black/5754934.p?skuId=5754934

x480-15632.Jpg

• Like 4

My understanding is that Atmos was designed specifically for in-ceiling "height" speakers.  They are dedicated channels, just like a surround channel or a center channel that are supposed to be assigned to separate speakers that fire downward from above.  Some floor speakers and soundbars try to "cheat" around the need for true, in-ceiling speakers by firing sound upward to get bounced off the ceiling.  Whether that works well depends on the room so your mileage may vary.  Soundbars do a similar thing with surround by bouncing sound off of a back wall.  If you don't have a back wall, or your back wall is filled with your stuffed animal collection, those reflections are not going to happen.  So, if you're not getting good results, it might make sense to turn off the features that try to make the soundbar do that type of thing.  Most gaming systems/TVs/receivers allow you to adjust stuff like this in the setup.  DVDs and BluRays often have sound settings too.  It's possible the soundbar even has its own settings.

I've got one of these logitech speaker sets

Logitech Z623 Speaker System 2.1 2.1 Stereo Speakers

I rescued this from my old office when it closed down years ago and its been plugged into my TV since - very loud and very bassy - if you need it to be. 

Perfect for watching movies and has a really surprising clarity and output - id personally always go for something like this over a soundbar, since you can split the speakers up and place them around and about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve said:

This seems to be the current premium choice: -

I would love a setup like that, but it's over £2,000 and I live in an end terrace house with thin walls, so my neighbours likely wouldn't be a fan.

TWO GRAND?!?!

fuck that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jesus......im still very much a cheapskate yorkshire cunt, tbf - but fuckin ell - 2 grand!!! I'm sure its absolutely brilliant mind you.....

I bought a second hand 50 quid panasonic hifi set up for my gaming TV - I'm more than happy with that (maybe im really easily pleased lol)

• Haha 5

I had a cheap ass iHome soundbar that i got for free from my old job.  that thing was the worst.  Most of my tv's are running thru old stereo receivers that i got from the thrift shops. and i got a few stereo speakers.  i found a fiber optic audio to rca converter on amazon. so i use those to run the sound to the receivers.  its amazing how 1 good stereo speaker sounds versus some of these soundbar/ surround sound set ups.  at the end of the day, i just need it loud.