The Rebirth Of A SP 808 EX

18 hours ago, broma said:

Yes mate. What a lovely looking machine in that late 90s kinda way! Still keep getting tempted to pick up a 505 myself. Look forward to hearing some new new from you :)

Cheers dude! ..have some new music almost ready to release,been a while as I've had a load of family related stuff going on lately. 

I sourced a working 250 mb zip drive and a mate who's pretty handy with electronics helped to get the sampler up and running again . Next upgrade will be a compact flash card reader to replace the zip drive on the SP- 808 ..it's a beast of a machine plus adding a cf reader will enable the cards to be swapped between the SP 404 . 

• Like 3

Nice one dude. I know that 'family stuff' thing. Tough times for a lot of us. Really good to hear you've found the headspace and time to bang out some fresh beats, always enjoy your stuff 👊 Hope to hear some d-beam synth action in there too!

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, danswift said:

Cheers dude! ..have some new music almost ready to release,been a while as I've had a load of family related stuff going on lately. 

I sourced a working 250 mb zip drive and a mate who's pretty handy with electronics helped to get the sampler up and running again . Next upgrade will be a compact flash card reader to replace the zip drive on the SP- 808 ..it's a beast of a machine plus adding a cf reader will enable the cards to be swapped between the SP 404 . 

Did the project to make that happen get successul? Or you are planning to buy the mpc2000 blue overexpensive adaptor?

Roland should remake this machine with modern technology but Roland can’t release anything with modern technology even for their release dates looool

People complaining about screens on Mc101/707 and verselab… hahaha.

It'll certainly be cheaper to get a card reader than a new sampler @Mutis Mayfield,plus it'll transform the 808 into one hell of a machine in the SP series that can do so much more that way without having to rely on the Zip Drive. 

But there's no crazy rush to install at the moment as alongside the 808 I have an Akai S900 & 950, MPC 2000, SP 303,SP 404,SP 404 SX and an Ensoniq EPS sampling synth at my disposal right now,Alec's and myself have combined all our equipment into one studio set up,plus there's also a Mac that's running Ableton. 

It's definitely something I'll do at some point in the future though for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broma said:

Fuck, that's a serious collection of samplers 🤤

With all the samplers combined it allows up to 64 pads to be used at any given time plus the keys on the Ensoniq can be played at any pitch. 

I've been fucking around quite a bit recently.. just experimenting with what I can now do in a live situation as it's still the way I like to record most of all ..having the other machines to do the heavy lifting like the drum patterns and bass lines  etc means I can run those samples independently and concentrate more on the arrangements. 

In the past I  did it all with only the OG 404 mostly, but its been amazing to have all this other gear available to get creative with...just having the SP 808 up and running again has been a blast,I can do stuff dead easy or resample 4 pads at once for example. I'd forgotten just how much I loved that sampler originally too..:) 

I had these 3 hooked up together a couple of nights ago,the 808's running into the 404 with the lovely vinyl sim and crunch  from the 303 on the drums.  

LKe0abh.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/4/2021 at 1:46 PM, danswift said:

It'll certainly be cheaper to get a card reader than a new sampler @Mutis Mayfield,plus it'll transform the 808 into one hell of a machine in the SP series that can do so much more that way without having to rely on the Zip Drive. 

But there's no crazy rush to install at the moment as alongside the 808 I have an Akai S900 & 950, MPC 2000, SP 303,SP 404,SP 404 SX and an Ensoniq EPS sampling synth at my disposal right now,Alec's and myself have combined all our equipment into one studio set up,plus there's also a Mac that's running Ableton. 

It's definitely something I'll do at some point in the future though for sure. 

But afaik the only reader working with it is the blue mpc2000 hot swap blablah or the project of someone (trying to crowdfunding first and doing it as kit later) of new adaptor board… or the A6 conversion?

I understood you didn’t need it on hurry but not what option you are going to adapt. It’s just curiosity since Roland made a weirdo using zips as ram in these machines and not documenting anywhere so nerds could fix that flaw design and give the sp the proper love it deserves.

Blue mpc2000 drive units are more expensive at mpcparts store than mpc2000 itself lol.

Frikin’ speculative IMO…

• 2 years later...