Windows 11 will be a free upgrade, but it requires TPM 2.0 to be able to install it

Steve

I can see this being a clusterfuck if MS don't change the requirements.

TPM provides hardware-based security functions, such as generating cryptographic keys. Windows 11 will require that your PC supports TPM 2.0 before it will allow you to install it. This is going to be a problem for many people who already have PCs for several reasons: -

Many older PCs, including my own, do not support TPM at all and there is no way to add it. Despite the fact that my PC is more than powerful enough to run Windows 11, I won't be able to install it without buying new hardware.

Many newer PCs support TPM, but by default it's disabled in the BIOS, and in the BIOS it can be referred to by various different names. There are tons of Windows users who don't even know what a BIOS is.

Many newer PCs support TPM, but only if you buy a TPM module and plug that into the motherboard, then go into the BIOS and enable it. Imagine phoning someone who's not that tech savvy and saying "yes, to upgrade, all you need to do is make sure you buy the correct 14 pin TPM module for your motherboard as there are various different kinds, then open your PC up and plug it into the correct socket on the board, then once that's done, boot into the BIOS, look for the TPM setting which may not even be referred to as "TPM", then enable it!".

I could understand it if they were only making it a requirement for PC makers to use TPM going forwards if they want to sell PCs with Windows 11 pre-installed, but this is going to be really, really confusing for a lot of existing PC owners who will assume that they can just upgrade to Windows 11 like they did with Windows 10.

BTW, to check if TPM is enabled on your PC, hit the start button, type "tpm.msc" without quotes, then hit enter.

Allegedly my PC might be able to support a TPM, but Google just finds me a load of people who tried it and didn't get it working.

I can't remember a core O/S feature that Windows has added in the last 20 years that has made any difference to the way I use it. Using OneDrive is about the only thing I do now that I didn't do before.

I can't think of anything other than OneDrive either tbh. There must be something, but if I can't remember it, it can't be that great, lol.

This will be the first time I don't upgrade to the new version of Windows on/around the release date since I first started using it, back in the Windows 95 days. I dunno why it bothers me, cos it won't make any difference to me really, but for some reason it does.