Record organisation

Deft

No I'm not talking the shelving, I mean a Dewey Decimal type system for putting them in order on your shelves?

I've always loosely grouped types of music, or things I'm likely to mix together nearby - but then no other ordering. Am I missing out by not sorting further? Not sure alphabetical helps unless someone is physically in my house and randomly goes "HAVE YOU GOT THAT?".

Then I think, well I'm all digital nowadays so who gives a fuck about the real things sitting there. It's only on show to impress the laydeez.

Mine aren't organised at all, but if I had the space to organise them exactly how I want, I'd break them down by genre, then alphabetically, and I'd have a space for records I'm currently using for a project or whatever, so if I was making a new all-vinyl mixtape, I'd put all of the records I might potentially use there temporarily.

I don't own a huge amount of records these days though, and I don't really have the space to be buying them regularly. If I could afford a decent sized place and to buy records often, I would definitely buy more and organise them properly as well.

When I still had the majority of my vinyl everything was stored by genre.

Breaks / DJ Tools  :Rock/ Pop : Jazz / Fusion : Funk , Reggae, Hip Hop,Dance and Electronica etcetera all separate and alphabetical .

The only records I ever kept together were 12 inch and 45 rpm singles but again by genre and in alphabetical order.  

I can't cope with a disorganised vinyl collection ..you'll just spend more time looking for things than you do playing the damn records . Have a couple of friends who have absolutely amazing collections but are an absolute mess with stuff everywhere except where it should be hehe.

I'm wondering whether this is finally time I catalogue my vinyl collection into a database / Discogs thing. Mostly to remind me of all my favourite records I've forgotten, and gradually buy them all digitally in decent quality.

• Like 1

Mine are organized into "sets" which generally stick to a genre or theme. I do them in crates which isn't very sexy looking compared to people I see streaming online... they look all GQ with walls or records behind them. That's how my dad's collection is and if I was just listening that would make sense probably. But I'd never be able to find stuff. My dad has no order which I kinda love. Alphabetical by artist would be a good way but TBH I'd organize by sleeve color. Make you collection look like a color gradient scale. That would be fresh. "Oh you want Jimi Experience? That's in the yellows" 😄 

• Haha 1

I do mine by albums, 12"s, 45s, then by genre, alphabetically.  Otherwise I have a hard time finding anything.  New arrivals tend to get set apart until I can go through them.  I have a few shelves upstairs for heavy rotation.  Then I may break out crates for sets, projects, etc.  I'll also set aside space for records with samples I think I will probably use.

• Like 1