How much do you DJ these days?

Steve

I realised today that I haven't even touched my turntables and mixer in over 5 years, apart from to dust them, lol.

How much time per week, on average, would you say that you DJ these days? I'm guessing for some of you guys, that figure has gone up since the pandemic started.

I was DJn about once a week till about a month or two before Covid hit, then started focusing on my drum machine. I put about 10-15 hours a week into finger drumming, but have only touched my tables probably once since early 2020. Hearing that new QBert album Origins makes me want to cut again, although I'm incredibly obsessed with my Maschine, so that gets all my attention.

• Like 1

before covid I was playing gigs 2-3 times a week.

I never play at home. I put one evening into that Woody battle, but that was the first time in ages... even when i was gigging, I'd just do serato business on my laptop, and not actually practice or anything.

Now i've a baby (and a new guitar), I don't know when the next time will be either... still have them set up, but it's starting to look like they're just taking up space. We don't have a huge apartment at the minute, but will probably buy somewhere next year, so things might change when it's all organized a bit better.

Not a whole lot of late. Much of my stuff has been packed away since 2019... house issued so had to put things in storage. Was still DJing with a controller maybe once a month until shortly after the pandemic.

The plan is for this to all change soon obviously since I'm building that man-cave. Really looking forward to it too. Moving all my crap from the garage is going to be a bear tho... I've holed away so much stuff over the past 15 years at this house. 

Almost every day.  I rarely mix unless I'm working on a tape but I scratch 10 minutes or more on most days. I'll make quick beats on a drum machine and vibe out.  I've got a few long-term projects I plug away at. I signed up to Beat Junkies TV and take classes, mostly with D-Styles, but also Melo D, Babu.  Been doing their monthly challenges and Zoom meetings.  I feel like I've advanced a lot this last year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jam Burglar said:

Almost every day.  I rarely mix unless I'm working on a tape but I scratch 10 minutes or more on most days. I'll make quick beats on a drum machine and vibe out.  I've got a few long-term projects I plug away at. I signed up to Beat Junkies TV and take classes, mostly with D-Styles, but also Melo D, Babu.  Been doing their monthly challenges and Zoom meetings.  I feel like I've advanced a lot this last year.

I finally got the chance to listen to that J.A.R.S. project.  you guys did a good job.  I downloaded it when you put it out but it got lost amongst thousands of other downloads and I couldnt remember what the group was called.  i just found it last month.  anyway, great work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, TBearOne8III said:

I finally got the chance to listen to that J.A.R.S. project.  you guys did a good job.  I downloaded it when you put it out but it got lost amongst thousands of other downloads and I couldnt remember what the group was called.  i just found it last month.  anyway, great work.

Thanks TBear.  The amazing thing about that was it was literally just us freestyling on two afternoons.  There was no planning whatsoever and that's why there's "mistakes" and whatnot in there.  We recorded it because we figured we might be able to listen back later and maybe build on it but Unown went and made an album out of it without us knowing.  I think we're going to put it out on tape sometime soon.  

• Like 1