Whatsapp Google photos back up stuff

savwar

Google changed how whatsapp and messaging app images and videos are stored on a device back when covid hit, and people went mental sharing stuff.

Does anyone know how it works now... I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for. I'm using a Pixel 3a.

So you have to manually select for them to be backed up which i have done. But they aren't removed by the "Free space by deleting backed up photos" feature.

So i now have over 10 gigs of shit on my device.

Anyone know how you can delete the device version and ensure that the cloud ones are pulled down so that you can see them in whatsapp.?

My understanding of Whatsapp on Android (I use a Pixel) is that is does a "whole of Whatsapp" backup to Google Drive - and it reflects what is stored on your phone 1:1. The only real option I see is that you can choose not to include videos in the backup.

So the only way I know to handle it, is that I have to manage the content directly in Whatsapp - so by trimming down what's on your phone, the same will happen with the backup.

One of the most painful "family IT support" things I have ever done is moving Whatsapp backup from iOS to Android. That was nearly impossible and required additional paid software and unbelievable fiddling of the SQL database that Whatsapp used in a previous version.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, Deft said:

My understanding of Whatsapp on Android (I use a Pixel) is that is does a "whole of Whatsapp" backup to Google Drive - and it reflects what is stored on your phone 1:1. The only real option I see is that you can choose not to include videos in the backup.

So the only way I know to handle it, is that I have to manage the content directly in Whatsapp - so by trimming down what's on your phone, the same will happen with the backup.

One of the most painful "family IT support" things I have ever done is moving Whatsapp backup from iOS to Android. That was nearly impossible and required additional paid software and unbelievable fiddling of the SQL database that Whatsapp used in a previous version.

Yeah i'm just gonna have to trim it down a bit... kick the can down the road. and then in 6 months i'll just go through the same google searches again.