Simulated surround sound when using a headset for gaming - what do you use?

Steve

On the Xbox One, you have 3 options for simulated surround sound when using a headset: -

• Windows Sonic - Free. Built into the OS.
  • Dolby Atmos - Paid app that requires a small download.
  • DTS: X - Paid app that requires a small download.
No special headset is required in order to use these options, but obviously, the better your headset is in terms of audio quality, the better your experience with any of these will be.

Personally I heavily favour Dolby Atmos. Both Windows Sonic and DTS: X sound kind of "underwater" and tinny to me, while Dolby Atmos gives you decent directional audio while still giving decent full sound.

When playing Overwatch, for example, all of them give me good directional audio, so I can usually tell where an enemy is based on hearing their footsteps or whatever, but Atmos has the best combination of that and general sound quality IMO.

What do you guys use, if anything? Have you ever tried these options?

I used to have a headset years ago, but never really got into using it. The PS5 launch blurb got me interested again. Also, those Sony noise cancelling headphones had some kind of surround sound thing on, and I was quite impressed when I tried the demo. Not sure my nerves could take playing Last of Us 2 with hyper realistic sounds coming out of every angle.