Password Managers?

Deft

I've survived most password shenanigans through a combination of Chrome password storage and a password protected Excel workbook.

I was trying to set my mum up with something slightly more cross platform, she uses iPad / Safari and then Chrome on an Android phone. I started looking at Last Pass but I couldn't get much sense of how helpful it would be in reality. Anyone tried these sort of things?

Yeah I'm debating starting sort of fresh and just changing them to random complex passwords as I go along. Any logins in the last year or so I've used the Chrome suggested strong passwords, but things before that are mish mashes of similar things. I should probably update them all but it seems quite tedious.

These password managers are no better at the cuntish "give me the 4th, 9th and 13th" letter of a password. I hate those things.

I tried a couple of them a while ago, but the main issue I had was that the Firefox add-ons kinda sucked. I liked the features on offer, but, for example, often I would open the add-on and it would ask me to log in again, even though I'd logged in a few hours earlier.

I just use the feature built into Firefox now, which works great for site logins, but it's hit and miss with addresses and payment cards in my experience, cos sometimes it doesn't seem to recognise that it can auto-fill those fields.

If you find a good one, let me know!

I think the ones I tried were Dashlane and Bitwarden.

but it's hit and miss with addresses and payment cards in my experience, cos sometimes it doesn't seem to recognise that it can auto-fill those fields.

They do this intentionally so others (e.g. people using your computer) can't auto-fill your credit card information.

So far Last Pass has been OK. It makes you realise how different / shitty a lot of websites are with passwords. I'm working my way through and changing them to random complex things as I go. I'm on about letter P now. It's taken me a few tedious hours. It generally does a decent job of figuring out what fields are what on a website - but clearly web design is not perfectly standardised. Some times when I've been updating my password it's got confused. So for some websites where you have a form with "current password" and then a couple of fields for "new password", you get it to generate a new random password - it updates it in your vault but then after submission of that page has re-triggered and asked to update again. I've clicked "OK" but it's actually updated back to the old password! Then, I don't know what my new password is and I've had to go through a reset procedure! Doh.

I also can't figure out the local vs. internet connectivity. It seemed to be down for a couple of minutes while I was using it, and it wouldn't let me use a password - just said couldn't connect. The help seems to suggest there is a local copy so this shouldn't happen. It does also make you consider the "trust" aspect of dumping every known password in the cloud. I'm fairly trusting but.....

Right I know you are all waiting for my latest update.

I've moved all my passwords to LastPass, and now moved all my wife's into her own account. It makes you realise what a ball-ache your digital life is, particularly if you use different O/S and systems. So my wife had clashing stored passwords on her iCloud keychain (via her iPhone and iPad), and then a boatload of other stuff on Chrome on her desktop PC. I guess most people just reset passwords if they get stuck, but this is where my mum gets annoyed - she resets it on her iPad then gets locked out again on her Android phone as it's using old saved passwords. It's quite a bit of effort to do a digital tidy up, reset passwords to complex random strings and manage it all via LastPass. Once you've got there it seems reasonable, though it's got stuck a couple of times trying to autofill android or iOS app logins. A bit hit and miss but at least you can just open LastPass and copy / paste the password as a fall back. The Chrome plugin works OK though it can be a bit quirky when it's already open and you are doing new stuff (i.e. not refreshing or things being sorted in a weird way).

The best feature for me so far is the ability to share passwords with other people. So things that are in my name but my wife needs access to, all appear as shared logins on her account now. I find this quite a tidy way of doing things (and you can choose to share the password but not make it viewable). It also means I should be able to admin my mums accounts a bit more easily if needed. Having some "emergency" trusted person who then gets the keys to your digital life is pretty decent. My brother is the executor of my will in case both me and the wife snuff it simultaneously, so in a morbid way it's good he can get access to everything if needed (I think).

The only other one I got to when looking around was 1Password, but I went for LastPass, no idea why really.

• Like 1

Oh and useless corporate cunt award goes to BT. I had an ancient BT login, I haven't been a customer for over 4 years but could still login. I opened some ticket to say could you close this login and delete all personal information about me. I got some stupid email back say they've tried ringing me as they need to confirm some security details. What fucking details! I've emailed back copying their data protection officer and said this is my written GDPR right to deletion request, get a fucking move on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well a final twist in the tale. I got paranoid about having all my shit in LastPass with a single master password. So I switched to 1Password which has a random mega key plus your own password. The idea being that 1Password does not know the auto-generated mega key, so it's safer. I don't know how true this is in reality, but it made me feel a bit better. The interface and features look pretty similar, though there is no "free" version. I'm paying $5/month for a 5 user family pass. LastPass was a bit weird with behaviour on the Chrome plugin which made me a bit less confident in it too.