When you can create your own character in a game, or choose from a range of pre-made choices, what do you pick?

Steve

Do you pick someone that looks like you and is it important to you that you can do that? Do you just pick the one that looks most badass, dumb, or whatever? Do you even really care about this stuff?

I do care about it to some degree. I think diversity is good in this instance, not in an "OMG, games are so sexist/racist!" way, but just because choice is good.

That said, I often don't pick characters that look like me, or even characters that look like what I'd like to look like if I had the choice (e.g. some muscly toned white dood). I sometimes pick a female character model, just cos I think she looks cool.

I always go for women, which makes me question my gender identity. I fell in love with my virtual Commander Shepard in Mass Effect 2. I'm currently playing Streets of Rage 4 as Blaze, obviously.

Yeah I usually make myself a hot chick. Why not right? Not much cooler than a hawt chick that can kick ass. Sometimes I make a cool(er) looking version of myself tho instead.