Your favourite 80s music mixes (any genre)?

Steve

I'm a Spinbad fan, but my love for his 80s mixes in particular waned over the years. I prefer Jam's mix, just cos he went more in the direction of letting songs play out and breathe a bit, while still doing enough to satisfy my love of scratching, turntablism etc.

The reason I started this thread is cos I recently listened to DJ Curse's (of the Beat Junkies) 80s mixes again and was really digging them.

I'm a Spinbad fan, but my love for his 80s mixes in particular waned over the years. I prefer Jam's mix, just cos he went more in the direction of letting songs play out and breathe a bit, while still doing enough to satisfy my love of scratching, turntablism etc.

The reason I started this thread is cos I recently listened to DJ Curse's (of the Beat Junkies) 80s mixes again and was really digging them.

Co-signed. Jam's mix is really good. I like Spinbad but feel like I'm aging out of the vocal snips like he and Yoda do.

DJ Rumor "80's Mix-New Wave, Post-Punk, Synthpop" is very good IMO.

Abe the Assassin (local) has a mix called "Ladies of the 80s" that I think you would like Steve.

Jrocc has that Activator Vol 1 mix that's more like 80s funk and Boogie. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for.

I can up any of those if you.

Melo-d's Infectious mix covers some good synth/pop/mildly cheesy ground.

Used to be on mixcrate but looks like you can still get it here:

http://20dollajulio.com/publicmusic/infectious.mp3

A lot happened in the 80s. What sort of thing are you after?

There's a ton of good synthwave/darkwave type mixes on youtube with good tracks but not exactly 'mixed'.

eg

Cheers fellas. I'd got all of them apart from the DJ Rumor and Abe The Assassin ones. I've downloaded the DJ Rumor one, but if you could upload the Abe The Assassin mix for me Dirk, that would be great. Thanks.

As for what I'm looking for, anything really in terms of the genre(s).

• Like 1

Cheers fellas. I'd got all of them apart from the DJ Rumor and Abe The Assassin ones. I've downloaded the DJ Rumor one, but if you could upload the Abe The Assassin mix for me Dirk, that would be great. Thanks.

As for what I'm looking for, anything really in terms of the genre(s).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5o6uetyqglsls1t/Ladies_from_the_80%27s.mp3/file

​He goes by Abe the Ambassador now BTW. Good DJ.

• Like 1

Here's a link to the one I did if anybody needs it. https://www.tablist.net/audio/jbs-jockin-80s

I like how Spinbad approached his like a hip-hop mix using 80s records but I was definitely trying to go a different direction than that.

I want to check out the Curse and Melo D mixes! Melo is unbelievably good.

Didn't Girl Talk or somebody like that do an 80s mix with hip hop accapellas over 80s loops? Not a fan of his personally so I didn't pay much attention.

Girl Talk does some stuff like that but doesn't have all the vocal snips from movies and TV etc that is heavily done by Yoda and to some degree by Spinbad. That's kinda what I'm less into now is the spoken snips. It's fun the first time but after a few times through I just want to hear the music not a movie reference.

Girl Talk does some stuff like that but doesn't have all the vocal snips from movies and TV etc that is heavily done by Yoda and to some degree by Spinbad. That's kinda what I'm less into now is the spoken snips. It's fun the first time but after a few times through I just want to hear the music not a movie reference.

Yep, me too. Gets tiring listening to it - I just want to say to Yoda 'Let the music play!' (cue Shannon coming on)
  • Like 1

I think they have to have context or purpose other than "remember this movie clip"? Like if you're playing Nightmare on My Street and bust in with some Nightmare on Elm Street movie clips, that actually work with the music, I'm good with that. What's even better is when you have some Rebecca Black "Friday" playing and you bust in with some Friday the 13th like "blowwwwwww!"

But chyea, when you just randomly throw in movie clips "because '80s" then it feels gimmicky to me. That sort of thing reminds me of the cameos everybody does in movies now. For instance, putting ET in the middle of a Star Wars movie. Cheap pandering.

For instance, putting ET in the middle of a Star Wars movie. Cheap pandering.

FLOL I totally blocked that out lolol