Wireless earbud suggestions

djdiggla

Looking for something to be using at home. Any suggestions?

these are what Im looking at:

Sony Wf 1000XM3 $200

Jabra Elite 75t $180

Apple Airpods $170 with wireless charging case

Klipse T5 $99 (half off on crutch field)

Lypertek Tevi $90

Leaning towards the AirPods or Klipse but open to other suggestions.

Yeah i heard those are nice. Figured they are more tailored for Android but maybe not.

I'm not real into this shit either but going to bill some of it through for work.

I bought the normal AirPods from B&H. Had to wait till 9pm to order because its a Jewish company but $30 cheaper than Apple and ship faster. Ill let you know Deft. Part of me looks forward to being the DB with one in the ear at all times.

My company approved the purchase BTW which is why I went with the AirPods. Had they not I would have tried the Klipse. If noise canceling was a large part of the consideration I would have done the Sonys.

• Like 1

Those look really nice Steve. I was looking for a bud but will definitely save those if I ever need full headphones.

• Like 1

I have the Sony WH-1000XM3 - They sound amazing and the noise cancelling is unbelievable. 100% recommend. They sounded so much better than the Bose ones, the ANC was better too.

If the WF-1000XM3 are then half as good they be worth it. I've been eyeing them up myself for use at work.

• 2 weeks later...

Those look really nice Steve. I was looking for a bud but will definitely save those if I ever need full headphones.

I ended up getting a pair. I think they're really fucking good!

As Dan mentioned, the sound quality and noise cancelling are both excellent and there's plenty of bass. They're the kind of headphones that expose low quality/badly mastered music, but with good quality, well-mastered tracks, they sound superb for the money. The build quality is very good and they're comfortable, even when I have my glasses on.

The right earcup has a touchpad on it, so you can swipe up/down to change volume, left/right to skip tracks, double-tap to pause/resume, and if you put your hand over it, it lowers the volume to almost muted and turns the noise cancelling off, then it goes back to normal again when you move your hand away.

I've used them for 3-4 hours and the battery is at 90%, so the stated battery life seems legit. They do fast charging, but they don't come with the charger - just a USB charging cable - but my phone charger does it anyway, so that's OK.

The app gives you quite a lot of options to tinker with, but I tend to keep any audio processing and EQ stuff turned off. There's a setting to either prioritise audio quality or connection quality. I chose the former and I have had no audio issues/glitches/disconnections at all.

Oh, and they have Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant support built in, and they talk to you, so they'll say "power on", "Bluetooth connected" etc.

The only issue I've had with them is that sometimes when I turn them on and they connect to my phone, Spotify will launch automatically and continue playing the last playlist I was listening to. It doesn't always do it, and I have that setting disabled in my phone's settings, but I assume it's a OnePlus OS issue rather than an issue with the headphones.

• Like 2

Yeah I was going to write some notes but obviously Steve beat me to it. Also, cheers Dan for some tips via PM.

They seem pretty decent, but I've just been listening to podcasts mostly so haven't done much music listening with them. Initially I thought the noise cancelling was a bit shit, because I had some memory of my wife's Bose headphones being amazing in this regard. Funnily I had never even borrowed them off her, so you can see I was never that interested in these poncy noise cancelling pieces of crap. I AB'ed them together and they are pretty much identical in the general sense of noise reduction. Part of me was "Well if you want to block noise out just turn the fucking volume up!", but it is a worthwhile feature (though I reckon I could live without it). The Sony "ambient sound" setting is pretty nice, and it's quite disconcerting hearing crystal clear ambient voices picked up via mic and piped into your headphones. The "hold your earcup" to temporarily do this is quite smart too. The other gestures on earcups are good but I've accidentally skipped track when I've wanted to do volume up so obviously I haven't mastered it yet.

I need to play with the more detailed settings but it's quite liberating being an antisocial fuck and blocking out the annoying sound of family whilst you listen to whatever you want.

We all know the PX-7s would have been better though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Sony's have a weird bug. I turn them on, switch Bluetooth on my phone on. They then pair automatically. But about 20 secs later they switch off. If I turn the headphones back on then they're fine for the rest of the time I use them. A few similar reports on Sony's forum. Not sure if it's a weird interaction with my phone. It's not annoying enough to make me troubleshoot or send them back.

I also ended up switching the mode to prioritising connection stability vs sound quality, as every once in a while I'd get an audio glitch / break. Since changing that setting not a single glitch so it definitely did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno, weirdly it hasn't happened the last few times I've used them - whereas it seemed to do it 5-6 times in a row previously. My Mate 10 Pro is being quite annoying, a couple of apps just constantly crash. I think it's due a software update but it's been delayed by a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had an issue with my WH-1000XM3's on my iPhone (6s and now new SE) and I have it set to sound quality.

Girlfriend has just got me the WF-1000XM3's as an early birthday present to replace my Cambridge Audio Melomania 1's. Will report back when I've given them a proper test but first impressions are they sound really good, lots of bass. They have EQ settings like the WH and can have noise cancelling or ambient sound but strangely you can't "optimise" the noise cancelling like you can on the WH version.

• 2 months later...

I ended up picking up a pair of these.

Sennheiser PXC 550

BGqyobM.jpg

I was considering the Sony ones... and they actually just brought out the XM4s, but i saw that you can't switch between 2 devices as conveniently as Sennheisers can, and that was one thing that was annoying me before.

These retail at about €240, but Ended up finding a pair brand new second for €100.

The Noise Cancellation is decent, and I don't really use it much, but obviously never going to be as good as on the sonys. Theyre comfortable, and sound pretty good.

There is one annoying thing that itunes automatically starts up the odd time seemingly without prompting, it's not that often, but must figure out whats going on.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...