Shiva Feshareki - a different kind of turntablism

jeljms

Stumbled across this on YouTube this morning:https://youtu.be/bknSyjcVlBU

Was interested that she is described as a turntablist - she's obviously coming from a different musical background than most people who describe themselves as turntablists. As far as I understand, she reworks her own compositions and recordings on turntables as an improvised live remix. I personally find it a bit of a challenging listen but I don't know her compositions so maybe I'm missing the nuance.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

this one i found more interesting

I like it when people take a total different approach to what can be called turntablism.

I always keep in mind that(at the beginning) turntables where used in a way, for what they were not designed for originally......and look what came out, a whole culture!

Than at the other hand, there is people who have such strong believes about 'how things should be or sound like', so that becomes really dull because when it comes to scratching, 99% of us, is basically copying what's already been done before

• Like 3

There's a few people who use vinyl in the sound art /experimental music world / university sound art research scene that do performances along these lines - playing with manipulated/broken records/stickers loops/ locked grooves / weird pressings etc. Usually it's as an experiment/sound art presentation/thesis about breaking down musical/performance conventions rather than conventional music. I get it from a study point of view just like how stuff like John Cage is interesting but not a traditional listen - but yeah it's not the most enjoyable to listen to, but I guess that's also the point of it sometimes.

Interesting. It's like drone but with turntables.

I would describe her style as "awful, unlistenable shite". It's seriously up there with the worst things I've ever heard in my life.

FLOL. Some of it was really bad but some of it I did like. She really could expand and make something pretty dope out of this but I doubt she ever will.

There's a few people who use vinyl in the sound art /experimental music world / university sound art research scene that do performances along these lines - playing with manipulated/broken records/stickers loops/ locked grooves / weird pressings etc. Usually it's as an experiment/sound art presentation/thesis about breaking down musical/performance conventions rather than conventional music. I get it from a study point of view just like how stuff like John Cage is interesting but not a traditional listen - but yeah it's not the most enjoyable to listen to, but I guess that's also the point of it sometimes.

Yeah man, there is a really interesting german collective that does this. I like the kinda soundscape stuff. It can be really interesting.

I could fart through a trumpet and call it art, but it doesn't mean I'd ever want to listen to it.

That's the problem with (conceptual) art. Explaining away and justifying a total lack of talent.

• Like 1