Serato Pitch 'n Time DJ

Deft

So I was messing around with standard keylock on Serato DJ Pro and it sounded pretty average in terms of artifacts etc.

I thought I may as well try spunking £30 on the upgrade plug-in - which is the "Pitch 'n Time DJ" plugin. I always remember people raving about the original Pitch 'n Time software that Serato effectively started their business with.

:o

Fair play it is pretty impressive (best of its type I remember hearing)! It will also independently pitch shift, as well as do the traditional "master tempo" time-stretch job.

It's an upgrade, so replaces the built in keylock, but also gives you independent musical pitch shifting too.

You just pay a fee to "unlock" it on the software interface. Serato seems to have quite a few "upgrades" you can pay separately for. That's capitalism I suppose.

If you ever use master tempo, then I'd definitely upgrade. It sounds massively better than the default, to the point where you really struggle to tell its on even at extreme tempo adjustments. I've mostly been scratching with Serato so not needed it, but if you do any mixing I'd get it. To be fair they probably made the default extra shit to make people upgrade!

Maybe I should look into this. The one time I tried to use "sync" in Serato it sounded like the tracks were fighting to stay locked. Yeah, it stayed locked, but it wasn't sounding right to my ears. This seems like it might help with this type of thing. Or maybe I was doing something else wrong. I guess I'm just old.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone remember that free program that someone released, going back quite a few years now, that allowed you to pitch songs up/down to a ridiculous degree without massive loss of quality? There were people posting songs on YouTube that lasted like 2 hours cos they'd been pitched all the way down. I remember it being discussed on here for sure.

It's an upgrade, so replaces the built in keylock, but also gives you independent musical pitch shifting too.

You just pay a fee to "unlock" it on the software interface. Serato seems to have quite a few "upgrades" you can pay separately for. That's capitalism I suppose.

once or twice a year serato usually have a sale and the whole suite of expansion packs is half price so around €150 or so.

I bought it a few years ago, it contains DJ Pro, Play, DVS, Video, FX, Flip & Pitch ‘n Time DJ.

i haven't gone deep with much of it, but obviously pitch n time works well. I've just had my first go fucking around with Video which was a bit of a laugh, messing with videos of the cat and university challenge....

I've been meaning to have a play with flip, just to make some basic edits, extending intros etc...

• Like 1

On a somewhat related note, does anyone remember that free program that someone released, going back quite a few years now, that allowed you to pitch songs up/down to a ridiculous degree without massive loss of quality? There were people posting songs on YouTube that lasted like 2 hours cos they'd been pitched all the way down. I remember it being discussed on here for sure.

Theres a free program called PaulStretch that does this type of thing. Everything comes out sounding 'glacial' - i have no other word for it!

With regard to Pitch & Time with Serato - it comes as a free upgrade with some mixers (72 for example) and as stated a massive improvement on the standard pitchshift/key lock. The pitch shift is only in semitiones and not cents though so you can't correct stuff thats only slightly out.