Your favourite acapella/instrumental blends to do in mixes?

Steve

I saw someone ask the same question on Reddit, so it got me thinking, and I think mine is this: -

Fabolous - Breathe (Instrumental) + Blu Cantrell - Breathe (Acapella)

I think the "breathe" samples that run through the Fabolous track fit well with the Blu Cantrell acapella.

The recording is from an unfinished mix from 2006 when I only used vinyl, so it's a little out of key IMO. I reckon I could do this better if I did it with Traktor. There's some scratching at the end that's probably better than anything I could do today, lol, even though it's layered.

• Like 3

These are some of the ones i did for #seratosunday #traktorsunday. None of them are perfect. They are not supposed to be. made to spark creativity withfellow DJ's.

Fugees - killing me softly + Willie Mitchell - Groovin

Mike Jackson - off the wall + Lil Louis - video clash

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8XcH0lHR03/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Sade - couldnt love you more + Slum Village - get dis money. this might be my favorite one. i just did this last week for #dillamonth. its only on instagram and facebook for now. one day i'll edit the video and put the recorded audio over it and put it on youtube. i literally uploaded it after i recorded it.

• Like 2

I used to mix Mystery of Chessboxin' over Shook Ones II and that always seemed to bump right.

I was fucking around with Nas "Half TIme" over Damu the Fudgemonk "Straight from the Harp" a while back and that was working nice too.

The only audio I can think of that I can grab right now is "The Message" over "Axel F"

https://www.tablist.net/audio/jbs-jockin-80s If you click on the MP3 and go to 48:40 , especially when the 2nd verse comes in ...

• Like 1

Jam, that blend was crazy. i wasnt expecting that at all.

Thanks! Check out the whole mix if you get a chance (you can downloand in FLAC or Itunes from that link and all the tracks are broken out and labeled). That project turned out to be more work than I originally anticipated but I've had a lot of people tell me they've played it a lot. It was supposed to be a sneaky way to get the un-initiated to listen to a full-on DJ mix and it kind of worked.

I used to do a lot of this back when I used only vinyl... cant remember what my favorite mashup to do was cause it's been so long.

But there's quite a few I pre-done ones I like too. Two of my favorites are Vanhalen Jump accapella + Imagine John Lennon inst

...and the other is Rick James Give it to Me Baby Inst + Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter. This youtube isn't as good as the mp3 one I have but it's close

• Like 1

Just made a quick recording of this one that i stumbled on live at a gig one night years ago.

Ludacris - Southern Hospitality (Remix with Ms Dynamite) x Prodigy - Poison.

It's quite drawn out, but i like it. The "Hit By" in the middle isn't really the best phrase to do the scratching with, so i might see how i can improve it, maybe doing some effects stuff or something instead (plus my cuts are currently wack...) also it's using the full version and not the acapella which i like as in spots i bring the bass & instrumentation back in and then out again, but maybe it gets crowded in spots.

I have another blend that I love, but it requires the Foreign Beggars - Frosted Perspeks acapella that I can't find on the net, so will have to grab the 12" next time i'm back at my Dad's house (he's currently using it for a routine obviously..)

• Like 3

The recording is from an unfinished mix from 2006 when I only used vinyl, so it's a little out of key IMO. I reckon I could do this better if I did it with Traktor.

Yeah obviously the song titles fit, and the rhythm of it, but yeah a few tweaks with the key might make it sit better.