One of my most decent live mixes

Freshcuts

Feel bad to post my own stuff but for once I think it's decent.

As part of my 1 mix per month challenge I have been doing since 2017, I wanted to share the December 2019 one:

It contains heat from psychedelic rock, hip hop, beats and more.

I am trying to discover 30 dope tracks every month, mix them live in under in a up to 1h and share.

The idea behind it is to continue being an active listener, discover new music and keep practicing mixing as I no longer DJ out of my house and getting rusty.

Curious to know if anyone else is trying to do something like this to maintain their skills.

In case you want the actual list of songs here's the Spotify playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ej3TmjP8BIS8jtNYn7ack?si=58xQYvkMSHmmzPhkgJKaKw

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Cool idea! I'll check it out and circle back. I used to do a good bit of this type of thing but my time is so limited now.

Limited due to life/work or you have no longer the urge to do these types of things?

Asking because sometimes after work I would rather watch YouTube than cut it up for example.

Cool idea! I'll check it out and circle back. I used to do a good bit of this type of thing but my time is so limited now.

Limited due to life/work or you have no longer the urge to do these types of things?

Asking because sometimes after work I would rather watch YouTube than cut it up for example.

Totally due to life and work. I used to take my new purchases and put them on mixtapes so I could roll around and listen in the ride. I didn't put a ton of planning into them but would loosely plan them out in 15 minutes or so then record the mix. But this is when I had hours in the evening or on the weekend so I could cut it up for an hour or two, make a mixtape for an hour, etc.

These days I get an hour a day, tops ... but more likely it's 30-40 minutes ... if at all. So, that time gets spent on the cut or working on more involved projects. I still tend to work on mixtapes along with production but it's more multi-tracked type of stuff. I really would like to do some more stuff where it's less planned out and more just putting together songs to listen to.

• Like 1

Totally due to life and work. I used to take my new purchases and put them on mixtapes so I could roll around and listen in the ride. I didn't put a ton of planning into them but would loosely plan them out in 15 minutes or so then record the mix. But this is when I had hours in the evening or on the weekend so I could cut it up for an hour or two, make a mixtape for an hour, etc.

These days I get an hour a day, tops ... but more likely it's 30-40 minutes ... if at all. So, that time gets spent on the cut or working on more involved projects. I still tend to work on mixtapes along with production but it's more multi-tracked type of stuff. I really would like to do some more stuff where it's less planned out and more just putting together songs to listen to.

I do recall your mixes being a lot more elaborate than what I am doing.

I think a way to think about it differently is to focus on doing it for yourself and a way to keep up with the music and staying excited about helping others discover new music.

Maybe consider preparing the tracks closer to where you are usually listening from. I listen to Spotify at work and collect tracks this way and one day a month I spend 1h mixing them without prep like you would if you were DJing out and had to find out how to blend things. This way the time commitment is pretty low and the challenge is pretty high (for my limited skills).