Man cave refurb ideas

Deft

The wife is threatening a refurb of our house and this includes the room I have nicked for dj'ing and gaming. It's not a room I can totally enclose or soundproof etc, as it's between the hallway and kitchen.

However, I could get some custom furniture or something. I'm thinking mounting my speakers on the wall or on stands properly, and some kind of decent vinyl storage. This doesn't feel particularly ground breaking or exciting.

Anyone here got any inspiring ideas or things they have seen that look good? I might even crack open a 1200GAE to celebrate.

my old room looked like this. excuse the mess

room.jpg

i just moved my stuff back into the basement. but i got a 50 inch tv in down there and a couch. so i have my regular table with my setup. then another table to make an L shape (which comes in handy) then right behind that other table is the couch thats facing the tv. got most of my game systems on there (ps3, xbox 360, dreamcast) havent taken a new pic yet.

• Like 1

Some suggestions...

Plants - Foliage goes a long way in livening up the place. Plus, not to mention, it provides fresh air and helps combat pollutants. Out of all the art that I have for my bedroom, plants give it the most appeal.

Street Art - There's some pretty cool street art prints on ebay, from Banksy's to no names. And they're reasonably priced.

Rope lighting - It's very cheap, yet adds a nice ambiance to my DJ room and looks cool. You can find rope lighting in most hardware stores in various colors.

Tapestries - They may not be your thing, but if you look long enough, you'll find something that matches your tastes. This helps liven up the room.

Regarding the speakers, you might want to put them on stands instead of mounting them to the wall in efforts of minimizing that gawd awful rap music from permeating throughout the house. Your chef will thank you.

• Like 2

jhouse, my cats eat plants. every live plant we ever put in the house gets eaten by the damn cats. but good suggestion on the street art. I had a graffiti poster i did hanging up in the basement before. but now my set up is in front of the window.

another suggestion, lighting. im 41 now and i swear i cant see worth a damn anymore. i just bought an LED shop light to hang over my setup so i can see the grooves. Deft, what kind of shelving do you have for your records?? most people like the ikea ones. i think they are called kallax now.

• Like 1

I'll take a snap of my room as is later. The thing is I've not got loads of records, maybe a thousand and I'm not generally buying them anymore (unless Ltd edition obvs). So IKEA job should be OK but I could get something built into the room properly. The current shelves are OK for books but not records. I've not got loads of space to play with and a radiator in the room already takes up a reasonable amount of space.

So for all you interior design experts:

This is the room as is. The main thing missing is decent record storage. They are all stashed in boxes either underneath the table or in cupboards behind where the picture is taken from. The sofa / TV fits quite nicely in the far corner, though don't panic I'm getting a bigger TV soon. The printer on the left of the shot is next to another small-ish table with PC/monitor which my wife uses. My dual screens are on the main desk with Scratchbox and Rane Twelve. There's not loads more space. I'm tempted to remove all the current shelving and de-clutter / make space for vinyl shelves but with desk / games / radiators there's not loads of space.

I suggested gold paint for the room, I think the wife is thinking more neutral white-ish tones. I always quite liked the green vibe, it was like that when we moved in.

IMG-20200205-200649-Copy.jpg

Yep, ditch the book shelves. I mean, how often do you reread those books? Maybe relocate them elsewhere in the house, like the living room, to make y'all look smart and stuff.

Yep, create shelving for your wax since that's more appropriate for your DJ room, sucka. Then perhaps mount the new, bigger TV to the wall. However, since you need that little TV table to host your gaming consoles, you might just keep the new TV there, assuming it fits. Orrrrr, mount the TV to the wall above your DJ gear, then tether your DVS to it thus making it multipurpose. This would invariably create more space for records in your current TV/gaming section.

Yep, kill the clutter, it will be easier on your mind and likely make you more creative/productive in your DJ room. Also, do you really need that big of a printer, or a printer at all?

Yep, go with an off-white paint, maybe with some texture. It will make the room appear bigger, plus be easier on the eyes.

Keep the radiators and the wife. They're both on your side.

• Like 1

i agree with J. ditch the shelves and build shelves for the records. just build around the radiator. if you scroll up, you can see i had my tv mounted above the record shelves. later i added a top shelf to the record shelves and put my game systems on it. if possible, then move your wife's stuff out. BUT, dont do anything that will compromise your marriage. its not worth it. my wife moved into my room too. she had her own tv and everything. but anyway, you can keep the color green. your main issue is those damn shelves.

• Like 1

Always keep bookshelves if you can/have them, same rule applies to vinyl, always have them on shelves, believe it or not they are the best sound deflectors you can get, the combination of the uneven surface and the materials will always give a room a nice sound.

I think we will keep the ones on the left wall, perhaps get ones which are bit deeper to take bigger books. I'm going to IKEA Kallax my records. I won't reveal the rest of the current plan so you can all be amazed when I post the new picture.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, it was the last room to get done in the house. We had originally planned for some crazy geometric wallpaper on the back wall but didn't bother.

Moved the radiator over to the left, got a new TV wall mounted. IKEA worktop for the PCs, just screwed into a frame on the wall. Kallax for the records. I seem to have not left enough room for an actual turntable. I might wall mount my speakers to free up some tabletop. New Rane One arrived today to complete the room.

PXL-20210313-191048521-Copy.jpg

• Like 7