Why Japanese don't buy Xbox

djdiggla

I've always pointed out that the console war in the States is fairly close--where Sony has the advantage is global -specifically Asia. The pro-PS argument I always hear is less people are playing online with xbox but reality is for my gaming experience the people online at the same time as me is similar regardless of console. Altho if xbox had a stronger asia presence tho you would likely see more exclusives. Interesting to see an article that goes into detail about that. If they could break into the Japanese market it would be huge.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/08/why-microsoft-xbox-isnt-as-popular-in-japan-as-sonys-playstation.html

Today, Microsoft still struggles to sell consoles in Japan. Of the 46.9 million Xbox Ones sold worldwide through the second quarter of 2019, just 0.3% of them have been in Japan, according to the International Data Corporation.

I think it says more about Japan's consumer culture than anything. Very brand loyal and nationalistic. Aesthetics held very high and superior even to function. It is an important market tho. But a very difficult one to access. They have that economic isolationism tradition that is hard to break through. I bet even brands like LG and Samsung have a competitive disadvantage in Japan to Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, etc.

• Like 1

Well, I think you answered your own question...they're very brand loyal and nationalistic, if not down right racist too. Plus, they know their products are pretty much better built than everybody else's. I have very limited knowledge about their country though, other than they have the hottest women out of all the asian countries. I'm super into Japanese chicks.

• Like 1

Defo the hottest.

Their products used to be built better (or just better) than everyone else but IDK anymore. That's just generally speaking too... with gaming the OG Xbox blew everything out of the water. PS3 and 360 were pretty similar... one faster CPU the other faster GPU. HD video was superior to BluRay and shoulda killed the Playstation once and for all but of course business doesn't always work like that and BluRay. Free online for PSN was big (at least for me).

I think it says more about Japan's consumer culture than anything. Very brand loyal and nationalistic. Aesthetics held very high and superior even to function. It is an important market tho. But a very difficult one to access. They have that economic isolationism tradition that is hard to break through. I bet even brands like LG and Samsung have a competitive disadvantage in Japan to Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, etc.

Yip, racist asians .