Trying To Restore My Roland SP-808

I ran this test on my old Roland SP 808 which hasn't worked properly for years after a dude on another site suggested it as it turns out we were experiencing the same issue with the machines.

Everything that has a backlight on the sampler was illuminated every time I switched the power on before and the screen just displayed squiggly lines and wouldn't boot up the Roland SP 808 and groove sampler Ver 1. 0 graphics.

The guy sent me this link to try and solve the problem although he said it hadn't worked for him unfortunately so I wasnt very hopeful I'd have much luck either.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/wicket/tipsandtricks.htm

It cleared up everything on the machine and it now looks like this again!

79REg25.jpg

rh95MXu.jpg

yekZuJ1.jpg

I don't have a working zip drive for this sampler anymore unfortunately so I can't try to implement the next stage of the process which allows me to

save the operating system from a 808EX, and to update the original SP-808.but im a lot more optomistic about the possibility of getting this thing up and running again than before...its a very powerful piece of sampling gear with a brilliant set of FX and a built in 4 channel digital multi track recorder (when it actually works correctly)
Wish me luck fellas. :)
  • Like 6

Wait, its not an ex?

Why is it in a translucent case ?

If i'm remembering this correctly I think there was a small limited run of the og 808s that came out slightly before or just after the EX version which used the translucent plastic casings instead of the standard black ones,although I honestly don't recall ever seeing another one like it since.

This particular 808 was the second or even the third model I got sent from Roland as id had loads of issues with the original sampler I bought which was still under warranty at the time.