Kaytoo - 'Jaguar'

Yo, thanks for posting my album Dan, much appreciated.

Jaguar is now on your favourite streaming services (plus some that nobody on the face of the planet uses) so please download it and stream the hell out of it:

Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/5XfhZeTqCQvArsAG52G7Cw

Apple Music - https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/jaguar/1463473241?uo=4

Deezer - http://www.deezer.com/album/96782562

Tidal - http://www.tidal.com/album/109369580

If anybody has any feedback, I'd love to hear it. Also happy to answer questions about how it was made.

This is really good! I just copped one of the CDs. There's 12 of 100 left at the time of me making this post.

Thank you so much for buying a CD man, really means a lot to me. Cheers for listening!

• Like 2

If anybody has any feedback, I'd love to hear it. Also happy to answer questions about how it was made.

Yeah dude absolutely..I'd like to hear the details of how you put this together and what equipment you're using etcetera, as I'm sure the other gear nerds here will too.. :)

• Like 2

Yeah man, this is really good stuff. Added to my Apple Music so hopefully you'll get a bit of doh ;)

Also, what Dan said. Be good to hear about your writing process and gear. Nerds stand up!

• Like 1

Thanks Broma!

More than happy to nerd out haha.

There's a reason I decided to finally make an album after 7 or so years producing. The only DAW I've ever used is Reason, which used to be pretty rigid when it came to working with samples. You couldn't timestretch anything and you had to use a separate bit of software called Recycle to chop things up - that was only really effective for drums as well and didn't suit working with longer samples. You couldn't even import audio files, it was really basic. When I finally upgraded from Reason 4 to 7, it had a new timestretch feature which gave me a creative freedom that I didn't previously have so I decided to put it to use and attempted to make an instrumental album.

The majority of Jaguar is composed of samples which are a mixture of things I've recorded from vinyl and bits I've found on the internet. I love mixing the two together; for example, Ceviche combines samples from an old jazz vinyl I bought in Kent with a Childish Gambino cover of Tamia's 'I'm So Into You' I found on YouTube. I like the thought that those things categorically do not belong together but it somehow works. I also wrote some new instrumentation on most of the tracks but it's all pretty basic and isn't that interesting.

In terms of gear, it's pretty straightforward; Jaguar was made exclusively in Reason with an MPK Mini and some Beats By Dre headphones as monitors (not something I would recommend trying, made it a nightmare to mix down!).

Apologies for the essay, hope that was of some interest. More than happy to answer any specific questions if anybody has any.

• Like 2

Def of interest mate :)

Ah man, I used recycle back in the day. It was the shit at the time! And I think I had Reason 2.0. Never really got a handle on it and went to Ableton, then Cubase, then Logic, then back to Ableton again.

Did you get your stuff mastered for the release or do it yourself?

Def of interest mate :)

Ah man, I used recycle back in the day. It was the shit at the time! And I think I had Reason 2.0. Never really got a handle on it and went to Ableton, then Cubase, then Logic, then back to Ableton again.

Did you get your stuff mastered for the release or do it yourself?

Yeah I used to love using it, you had to be really creative and think outside of the box but you could make stuff happen. All the other DAWs (Ableton being a great example) really pushed the boundaries on sampling though and Reason took years and years to catch up. Still intrigued by Ableton, I really should give it a go sometime soon.

Kind of ashamed to admit it but I used LANDR for the mastering, it did a fairly decent job and I know nothing at all about mastering. I've tried learning but it just won't stick!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's worth giving Ableton a go man. Even if you don't completely click with it, it offers different ways of doing things (like all DAWs really!) so you'll come up with something that maybe would have come out different with your usual tools. I find my tracks often have a different flavour if I deviate from my normal setup, not that I've done that in while but experimenting is always a good thing in my book.

P.S No clue about mastering really either, I use izotope Ozone and cycle through the presets until something sounds ok-ish and maybe tweak a bit ;)