Stadia - Google's game streaming platform, launching this year

Steve

A summary video of the announcement: -

MS are launching their game streaming platform this year too.

I just can't see how they'll have solved the biggest issue with this kind of technology - latency. I guess we'll see how it turns out and how much it costs later this year.

Aren't they starting to roll out 5G soon though?

The speeds that shit can achieve would be fast enough to handle the data as far as I can tell from my (limited) research.

Time for Steve to swoop in and make me look a fool like normal.

5G should offer ample speed, assuming companies don't have "fair use" caps on "unlimited" data packages. It's really the round trip time to the nearest server and the processing time that'll make or break it.

Saying that, I'm used to pings of around 130 ms when playing online multiplayer games, cos I'm usually playing with American or Canadian friends on servers that are local to them.

• 2 months later...

I already know I won't like the controller, but even if I did, I wouldn't spend money on this until reading reviews. Plus, there's no gold controller option, so I'd give it a pass if I was you, Deft.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So their business model isn't going to be what I thought it was going to be. I assumed that it would be a subscription service that included the games that the service offers, like Game Pass or like xCloud is going to be, but that's not the case.

Stadia Pro will allow you to stream games at up to 4K and that will cost £8.99 per month. Stadia Base will be free when it launches in 2020, but it will be limited to 1080p.

Stadia Pro will give you access to a "growing library of games", however, right now all that's been announced is Destiny 2, which is going free to play everywhere anyway.

Here's the kicker though - when new games are added to the service, you will have to buy them at full price, even if you're paying for the Pro tier.

This isn't what I expected at all.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Google are now giving away a Stadia Premiere Edition for free to anyone that has a YouTube Premium subscription.

I doubt any of you guys have YouTube Premium, but just in case you do, you can grab the free Stadia here: -

https://stadia.google.com/SdFGljSduV5z

Oh, and you had to have had the YouTube subscription on or before November 6th to get this offer, so you can't sign up for it, grab the free Stadia, then cancel.

• 2 months later...

The first nail in the coffin for Stadia perhaps: -

Creating best-in-class games from the ground up takes many years and significant investment, and the cost is going up exponentially. Given our focus on building on the proven technology of Stadia as well as deepening our business partnerships, we’ve decided that we will not be investing further in bringing exclusive content from our internal development team SG&E, beyond any near-term planned games.

https://blog.google/products/stadia/focusing-on-stadias-future-as-a-platform-and-winding-down-sge/

Jade Raymond has quit the company as well.

• 1 year later...

Google are shutting Stadia down on January 18th 2023.

They are going to refund all Stadia hardware and software purchases made through the Google Store in full, which is pretty decent of them IMO. They expect the majority of refunds to have been sorted out by mid-January.

Yeah that's good on them. I hadn't heard that part. Wonder if there is any mods that can be done on the hardware to make it a homebrew system or emulator.

• 3 months later...

Google has released an update you can download which will enable Bluetooth on a Stadia controller, allowing you to use it to game with other devices, such as a PC: -

https://stadia.google.com/controller/index_en_GB.html

Once the controller is switched to Bluetooth mode, it can't be changed back. There's a couple of other limitations, so read the FAQ first if you're considering doing this. They are offering this update until 31st December 2023.