1. 1. Who's the winner?

• Broma
    • Phonetic
    • Rock Well
    • Symatic
    • Flexinoodle
    • Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Broma - Fucking dopeness. Loved it.

Phonetic - I really liked the overall arrangement, but the drums are too low in the mix IMO (could just be my headphones though).

Rock Well - Shit, this one is really good as well! Fat drums.

Sy - 4 in and I've realised I suck at giving feedback, lol. All of these are great so far. Wicked cuts.

Flexi - "Cornetto"? lol. Not my favourite in terms of the drums, but still wicked.

Psych - Nice. I like the dark vibe to this one.

I liked all of them, but my vote goes to Broma.

• Like 1

Phonetic - Perfect creepy headnodder

Flexi - loved the vocal snippets. Gives it real intrigue and keeps ya listening!

Sy - Really liked the choice of sample. Fuckin' shame Ableton crashed on ya man!

Rock Well - Hurr. The hardest drums in the gaime thun. Wicked sounds

Psych - This shit got me paranoid g. Dope

Overall Rocky just took it for me. Good shit all round fellas.

Phonetic - I really liked the overall arrangement, but the drums are too low in the mix IMO (could just be my headphones though).

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Normally I think my drums are too prominent so I tried to hold them back a bit for this.

A bit more oomph next time haha

You guys never disappoint, Im loving these!

I so nearly went for Psyche simply for his selection and deployment of that vocal sample. It made the beat and got stuck in my head for ages!

But in the end, it has to be Broma for me. I love how it doesnt quite confirm to genre but is totally his sound still.

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Psych - Nice. I like the dark vibe to this one.

Psych - This shit got me paranoid g. Dope

Thanks lads, glad you enjoyed the dark vibes

You guys never disappoint, Im loving these!

I so nearly went for Psyche simply for his selection and deployment of that vocal sample. It made the beat and got stuck in my head for ages!

But in the end, it has to be Broma for me. I love how it doesnt quite confirm to genre but is totally his sound still.

Cheers Rocky and thanks for the dope album to sample mate. Glad you liked the beat, this months entries has given me a really good idea for an E.P now but maybe I should finish the loopers first before I open up another can of worms :((

Everyone did a fantastic job on the sample flip but went for Rockwell and his dope drums on this one

• Like 1

Cheers for the compliments on the drums!

Honestly, when I first got into beat making I figured that I didnt know how to play so much as a single chord and that the most important element of hip hop beats was the drums, so I might as well try and learn as much as could. That way, if all else failed, at least one element would be solid. I cant claim to have mastered anything, but Ill always make the effort.

(For the nerdy, individual hits chopped from Johnny Jenkins - Walk On Guilded Splinters this time round)

• Like 2

Ive never seen Dexter before, there is dope sheeze all over this record

Wether you like the show or not (I did til somewhere nearer the end), the music was a big part of it. After years of selling soundtracks as part of my job I've definitely become more aware of film and TV scoring and I've got to say Dexter is one of the few things I've seen over the last couple of decades where the scoring was that strong. It really leads you through the action/events on screen and just sets the tone of scenes as a good score should.

Interestingly, it was scored by Daniel Licht who despite having at least a couple of decades of scoring films under his belt was deemed a bit of a risky choice by the production company who got Rolfe Kent to compose the title theme. Ironically, while Kent's main theme was good and I guess set the tone they we looking for, it was Licht's score that really stood out and stole the show.

The Cuban music included did a fine job too - while it was originally incuded as mainly a geographical reference I'd guess, it added more than that. It gave some moments a style and swagger that made it fun to follow a serial killer around Miami.

• Like 3

I don't know who to vote for and I've never seen the TV show Dexter,either.

I also didn't listen to the wavs for this battle as my brain is fried at the moment from sampled music..im not even sure I want to even make it anymore,but that's another story.

These are all dope though by the way,which is why im struggling to choose..I'll have another listen and try to pick one.

Went for Broma in the end,top work dude your track reminded me of a kind of Lamb (the group, not an actual lamb)meets Transglobal Underground type of vibe..I love that sort of thing so had to choose yours although its definitely got your unique stamp all over it as usual of course!

Seriously nice stuff :)

Top marks to everyone all of these were dope!

Nice one dan :) I remember doing work experience at HMV when I was 15 and my boss was well into Lamb! Never heard them, and never heard of Transglobal Underground (maybe i should be embarrassed about that? Too much music in the world) but will have to check em out now.

• Like 1