Selling Stuff Online

danswift

Hello peoples.. :)

I've never sold anything second hand online before apart from some DJ videos to Sav and Madabbott from DV around a year ago,I've only ever bought stuff off the internet generally but I've got a ton of cds I wouldn't mind exchanging for some cashola to spend on hallucinogenic drugs and king sized 750 gram jars of Marmite.

I don't have an account with Discogs so have never dealt with them either as a buyer or seller and was wondering which are the best sites to use to sell stuff through.

I also have a few hundred books that I've been thinking of parting with due to space restrictions more than anything else and a friend of mine told me about this thing called Zuffit where you can sell your unwanted books online so I downloaded the app for it.

It was then that I noticed that you could also sell other things through this particular site including cds so I read the instructions,found the barcode scanner thingie and decided to scan some cds.

The first item I scanned was a near mint Japanese import of the Frank Strazzeri album 'After The Rain' with the obi strip and all the original labels etc intact.

Now the last time I looked at this cd online it was selling for more than the original 70s vinyl pressings..theres a few on Discogs at the moment with prices ranging from £68 upwards so naturally I was expecting to be offered a decent price for mine.

I scanned it and was offered the grand total of £0.30p!

The next thing I scanned was an album by the band Living Color and this time the offer was £1.27p..a little better obviously but how is this even possible lol to value a cd like the Living Color one over the Japanese Frank Strazzeri cd?

I decided to try another album and this time I scanned a sealed,mint copy of Virgil Donati's Fusion group Loose Change and their 'Live At The Grainstore' lp..the scan informed me that the barcode could not be recognised so I gave up,unistalled the app and realised that this site was a pile of crap basically.

Are all these sites who offer to buy your stuff like this?..obviously I'm not gonna let them have my cds for peanuts as I'd rather give the fucking things away than do that and I'm not in some desperate situation where I need to take whatever rip off price they're offering to pay.

Can anyone recommend any other sites or online stores where you can sell your music that actually pays a decent and fair rate for your goods?

• Like 1

We did discuss some of this stuff here: http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=40911&page=2

You can waste a lot of time by selling every individual piece (don't underestimate packaging, writing addresses and dealing with all the questions). This would probably make for some nice posts in the DV shitlist but might result in an actual killing spree.

Selling to stores will be faster but you really don't get any money.

A friend used the discogs app to scan his records and he said it was pretty fast and all records were recognized. Last time I checked, they get 10% but at least you get a decent price yourself.

Ebay is similar but if you watch out for special offers, you can cut those costs by a lot.

I'd probably start with an ad on gumtree, craigslist or whatever is popular in your area. Just a few pictures of the collection without all the details. Maybe someone will come and buy a bunch of stuff at once.

Afterwards, you can sell the remaining stuff individually (if it's worth the effort) or as packages (e.g. a bunch of crappy singles with some decent records as a bait)

• Like 1

Discogs is a good way to get a rough idea of what your stuff is worth. Obviously you get some dicks who will massively overprice things but you can see the average price of items that have sold in the past.

I'd price it all up and sell it at a record fair. That way you don't have to faff about with postage and twats who claim their items didn't turn up or aren't in the advertised condition, etc.

• Like 1

The only place to find out what anything is worth is Ebay, some people don't like that fact, but it is a fact, any other price you may guess at or use dicoggs is basically going to be a waiting game for the one person in every billion who doesnt go on ebay to check prices.

Nothing is worth fuck all basically, and its getting worth even less haha, but i might buy that sp808 output interface you have if you still have it cheap lol.

• Like 1

but i might buy that sp808 output interface you have if you still have it cheap lol.

The OP- 1 Expansion Board ?

Yeah I've still got it wrapped up in a box in the cupboard..I only ever used it the one time before I sold my original SP 808.

I was gonna use it with the other 808 I still have but never installed it into the machine.

If you want it I'm sure we can work something out dude . :)

We've just been clearing out DVDs and books. Those big online places give you fuck all. In the end just took it all down to our local Shelter charity shop. I only retained my scratch related DVDs, Steven Seagal boxset and Top Gun.

• Like 1

The only place to find out what anything is worth is Ebay, some people don't like that fact, but it is a fact, any other price you may guess at or use dicoggs is basically going to be a waiting game for the one person in every billion who doesnt go on ebay to check prices.

Nothing is worth fuck all basically, and its getting worth even less haha, but i might buy that sp808 output interface you have if you still have it cheap lol.

That's true but you only need to attract that one idiot highly esteemed customer. Prices on ebay can vary a lot for the same record. If a record is rare or a bit obscure, people may just miss the listing if it's only up for ten days. So I'd still try to ask for an average discogs price first if it's rather high, especially because getting rid of that much stuff will take a while anyway. If nobody buys it for that price, you can still make it an auction without spending too much on fees.

It's also good to include a text below each listing that you're selling some more records by UB40, Richard Clayderman, Redhead King Pin and what have you!

Ok-so I downloaded the Discogs app and set up an account with them.I've used their barcode thingy and scanned a few select cds and the results for price guides we're actually pretty interesting..it seems that some of the Japanese issue cd's I have are selling for pretty good money.I got a rough guide of around £160 for the 8 albums scanned which are a mix of Prog and Jazz so I may possibly give it a go and try to move some stuff on there.

Thanks for the advice chaps,appreciated.

but i might buy that sp808 output interface you have if you still have it cheap lol.

The OP- 1 Expansion Board ?

Yeah I've still got it wrapped up in a box in the cupboard..I only ever used it the one time before I sold my original SP 808.

I was gonna use it with the other 808 I still have but never installed it into the machine.

If you want it I'm sure we can work something out dude . :)

Yeah i have a MK1 again for it to go in, I will have it off you, and im getting rid of a shit ton of stuff, so maybe worth some swapsees :)

• Like 1